Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, false alarm (and cheap trick) but apparently the CEO of Sony isn't averse to the idea (and its quite possible for Apple to be acquired given the high cash to stock valuation ratio). Not that he's that thrilled with working with Jobs though. Would a take-over like this be positive or negative for Mac users? Could Sony provide Macs with consumer-friendly branding to increase the marketshare and overall profits? Personally, I could see the benefits of a joint venture where the consumer Macs (iMac, iBook, iPod) are sold in Sony stores alongside Sony branded Mac compatible devices (PVRs and other home integrated systems) in AppleStores. The power and utility of computers has still not transcended the living room barrier (unlike TVs, VCRs, PVRs, etc). With the prices of LCDs and plasma screens decreasing, what's the betting that in 5 years we will have TVs that have more computational power than todays desktops? I just can't see such devices having an Apple logo on them. Sony-Apple - yes.

Given the rumours that PS3 may run on an IBM 970 processor, there may be technical convergence (since Sony sells a lot more PS2s that computers).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sony has a reputation for making reliable electronics that last for ages. So, a Mac-Sony merger might make people who aren't very computer literate less hesitant to invest in a Mac. ...And, with Sony's huge niche in the games market, games for Macs might become more readily available than they are now (though the situation is much better now than it was, say, three years ago).

There's still a part of me, however, that cringes at the idea of Apple merging with *anyone*... but I don't know enough about business and economics to prove/disprove this gut feeling...so... *shrugs*

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
I read a few of these speculations on various sites from MacSurfer News. It was an interesting speculation, but I wonder if the corporate philosophies could ever really be merged? Personally, I don't think so, but that is just my "gut level" opinion.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
used to be jwoodget wrote:
Given the rumours that PS3 may run on an IBM 970 processor, there may be technical convergence (since Sony sells a lot more PS2s that computers).

I'd be very surprised if the PS3 used an actual 970 processor (although I wouldn't be surprised if Sony licensed some of the technology used in the 970, since that seems to be what the rumors I've heard are pointing at).

I doubt you'll be able to put an IBM 970 inside a 450CDN console and come anywhere close to breaking even (at least for a couple of years after the 970 is released). Neither the PlayStation nor the PlayStation 2 are sold at a loss, and I doubt Sony would want to start with the PlayStation 3.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But jfp, given the scale for PS3s (tens of millions) and the need for relatively low end processors (in terms of clockspeed), wouldn't this be enough incentive to drive the economics (he says, his only experience with PS2 being his total trashing by his son and reading PSM in the small room).

I'd have thought a bigger stumbling block would be the need to recode for a 64 bit processor (although that may not be a deal blocker given good compilers). Sony seems to be making nice with IBM lately so maybe a hybrid processor is in the works.

I also don't like the thought of merged/acquired Apple. Didn't seem to help AOL, HP, Compaq etc. Besides, SJ wants control.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Does that mean Sony stores would carry Macs I could look at? ;)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
used to be jwoodget wrote:
But jfp, given the scale for PS3s (tens of millions) and the need for relatively low end processors (in terms of clockspeed), wouldn't this be enough incentive to drive the economics

Interesting, but I don't think it'll work out that way. The PS3 will come out less than a year after the 970 is released, so the chips will still be expensive (relative to a 450CDN console, of course). As an example, look at the P4; even after two and a half years and millions of chips sold, a 1.8GHz P4 still retails for about 280CDN.

Plus, there's the fact that Sony likes to fab their own chips, which gives them a number of advantages. For example, last year Sony managed to combine three chips into one (since Sony fabs all three), which resulted in a substantial drop in the cost of manufacturing a PS2. If Sony were to use chips from IBM, then Sony couldn't optimize the PS3 this way, and so they wouldn't be able to optimize the cost of a PS3 in the same manner.

I'd have thought a bigger stumbling block would be the need to recode for a 64 bit processor

I'm not sure what Sony would have to recode in order to take advantage of a 64-bit processor? The PS2 doesn't have much of an operating system to speak of, so I'd be surprised if the PS3 did....

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sony.......reliable??? Maybe some of their electronics are good, but their computers are making expensive boat anchors :eek:
Plus their computer support is non-existent. That's probably why they want Apple, too repair all the bad reports about their computers!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I'm not sure how likely that is; back before the second coming Sony was constantly being touted as a takeover suitor by pundits but it turned out they had no real interest.

As for Apple being an easy takeover target, again this was hashed out about 7 years or so ago. Apparently Apple's shareholder mix isn't as institutional or concentrated as your average company (a lot of academic institutions own shares as well); the consensus was that it would be difficult to get shareholders to agree.

Imagine this scenario: Steve advises against it, asks for proxy votes from all those guys who own a hundred shares and a Mac. I'm pretty sure the resolution would be easily defeated, especially with guys like Woz and Larry Ellison (he made number 7 or so on the Forbes 500 list himself) owning so many shares to back up Steve's votes.

I can't remember the details, but I think I remember a decent poison pill resolution passing back around 1995 as well.

I can see a bidding war (Oracle, IBM) taking the wind out of Sony's sails pretty quick, as well. Doesn't look doable from where I sit.

I think the US government would also take a dim view of Apple falling into foreign hands. They make it pretty hard to buy airlines, railways, and I don't see them letting a technology company like Apple go without a fight. Microsoft would also hate it; they need Apple to keep the government off their backs as well.

Then there's Sony itself; it owns movie and record companies and is already in a corporate tug-of-war over making CD burners and computers on one hand and selling copyright-protected product on the other.

Sony decided to buy into media because of the BetaMax fiasco; it felt that Hollywood killed the format when it released more VHS movies than Beta versions.

Each division is already trying to come to grips with it's incompatible businesses (hardware division grosses twice the media division) and adding Apple to the mix can't help things internally. I see a lot of opposition inside Sony itself.

Things change, and I suppose anything's possible, but it doesn't sit right with me. I see a lot of roadblocks in the way.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jordan, I think Sony lusts after the Apple laptops for just those reasons. The VAIO line has some nice design hampered by cruddy components. I think a joint venture might make some sense (and this wouldn't hit the barriers of share-holder baulking or monopoly concerns). Sony built the first powerbook (100) for Apple.

The Centrino chip sets will certainly reduce the current design/portability/battery life/feature gap between Apple and Intel based laptops though, so we'll probably see better Windows portables in the near future.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CubaMark:
Y'all simply aren't "big thinkers," are ya?

The headline should be:

Apple Buys Sony!

M.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speak for yourself , CubaMark!

Apple buys Microsoft. Cancels Windows.

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I'm with macdoc on this one, fer sure!

Sony's much vaunted rep for solid and reliable products is past history. Ever since Akio Morita croaked, the whole electronics division has been on the fast track to sh*tsville! I can't think of anyone I know who hasn't had some sort of unscheduled breakdown with their Sony gear in the last few years. I have bought five different Sony video cameras for myself and my family and every single ONE of them have required expensive repairs. Some of them more than once!! My two thousand dollar Sony video editing deck lived in the repair shop until I junked it at the ripe old age of three years (it almost set fire to my house on two different occaisions) and you can forget about any sort of help from Sony on warrantee work.

They are MOST unhelpful. Trust me.

I trashed all this bad Sony junk and switched to Panasonic for my broadcast-quality video gear (did you know that Panasonic is a MUCH larger company than Sony?) I have had zero problems with any of my Panasonic equipment in the last three years! Not a single malfunction, despite hard and abusive treatment of the equipment...and the picture quality is superior, as well. When I was using Sony, one camera was always in the shop. My dad has only a few hours on his Sony camera and it has been in the shop twice, for a total of three hundred and fifty dollars in repairs.He is retired after a forty-year career with the airlines. He can fly almost anywhere in the world for free, and he does this regularly (Thailand, Arizona, and Germany, in the last few months).

But he doesn't take the Sony video camera with him when he travels. He used to take it everywhere, but not anymore. He is reluctant to use it these days because "it might break again".

Kind of sad, really.

There was a time when Sony was a great company. One that could command a premium price for their products.

That time is long past.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
BTW...if Sony bought Apple, then it would only be to offset the awful performance of the Vaio line. Everything I have read, and everyone I know who has one, says that they are "less than happy with them"

To say the least.

Check this link: Consumer Affairs (note: check out the "Rogues Gallery" for Sony computers.)

If Sony actually bought Apple....then I would start shopping for a Dell. :eek: :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
There is one good thing about sony products. They all integrate nicely with one another. Now if only they all didn't suck.

The Vaio computers are alright, so long as nothing goes wrong. Calling for warranty support is like pulling your teeth out. All of them, silmultaneously.

Their Digital Video Cams are prone to breaking (its wierd that they are actually number one in terms of sales in the consumer end of this market) and for warranty support, see above.

I'd go on, but I'd rather not.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Macnutt, hopefully (for your sake) Macspectrum does not read your comment that "If Sony actually bought Apple....then I would start shopping for a Dell."

PosterBoy, exactly what do you dislike about Sony products?

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Sony has been riding their name for years. I had a Sony Vaio notebook it looked good but the HD died within a few months. I have heard lots of people have problems with Sony and I personaly think Sony has been riding thier name and charging more then their products are worth. Sony buying Apple may be a good idea in the end. Sony is very powerfull on the market and are constantly inventing and reinventing the wheel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.