1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
what do you mean? As in there might be a few species on the extinction map?? pls eXpound...

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
is that your own sources are drying up or are all sources lacking in the channel?

could just be people are holding on to them?

OR

r u just speaking of new machines?

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
This is good news! I'm still hanging on to my beloved Pismo because...well...heck...it just plain works and does everthing I need it to do! And it does NOT seem slow at all. Even when doing fifteen layer renderings in Photoshop.

It's certainly several orders of magnitude better than anything I worked with in my bad old PC days. :cool:

But I am seriously looking at a new machine sometime in 2003. A superfast G4 or (dare I say it) a G5 would be just the advance that would tip me over and make me buy something new.

That would be my second Mac! :D

Think I'll keep the black beauty, though... :cool:

Keep us all posted MacDoc. I, for one, am listening intently for any news about big (and...AHEM...long overdue) changes in the Apple lineup. :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Indeed, the channel has been very slim on all the iMacs lately, especially the 17" model which is still selling strong.

I am looking forward to what might be around the corner.

--PB

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macdoc:
Apple might drop the other shoe very soon and it bodes ill for 9 users :rolleyes:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still don't understand why people are so worried about this Mac OS X only boot on new Macs. Apple has already stated there will be a 1.25Ghz Mac that can boot OS X until June. After that OS 9 users can buy any used Mac or buy upgrades. OS 9 users are NOT left high and dry - just like there are still OS 6.x, OS 7.x, and OS 8.x users around, there will be OS 9.x users around for years to come.

On the subject of dry channels - that's nice to hear, hopefully something is coming soon.

·
Premium Member
30,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you meant boot OS9 until June.

I don't think you can count on that date - that's the problem.
I think Apple is conflicted on sticking with the original timetable of Jan 2003.
There may indeed be enough OS9 bootable boxes but there is no guarantee and for larger users contemplating upgrades it's hard to plan as Quark on X looks pretty unlikely anytime soon if ever. Many larger packagers and graphics houses buy new boxes each year and don't buy used so that's not a good option for them.
It's a combination of Apple's secrecy about upcoming models and Apple's own willingness to change it's mind about timing that makes for an uncomfortable planning environment.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
For someone with no Mac software or outside hardware, would a Mac in OS X only be that problematic? I have no legacy software or hardware that would need to connect to a new Mac. Thus, if all components are to be collected anew, where might there be a need for OS 9?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Thus, if all components are to be collected anew, where might there be a need for OS 9? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There would be no need at all. ;) Long live OS X!!! :D

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
macdoc wrote:
"The channel is dry = changes coming up"

Eee! This is exciting. I'd like to get some sort of desktop Mac as a media machine and maybe the upcoming announcements will make this feasible :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
VGG, our local Mac Maven at MUN (pardon my alliteration) suggested that I wait until the changes that are anticipated for the iMac are finalized and announced. Then, as he said, place your order on the one that is most suitable for my purposes. Initially, I would only be using iPhoto, iDVD and iMovie, in the latest version for date of purchase, I would like to get a photo inkjet printer (the Canon i55o or 850 looks good, but I shall wait for the appropriate drivers for OS X, as well as a photo/slide scanner (once again, OS X compatible). Thus, I see no real concern to go back to OS 9, but I don't want to cause a stir.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Dr G
are you considering the 17 inch iMac?
the one good advantage it has over the powerbook is the arm makes it very comfortable to move to the best viewing position you like.
There is still no other machine like the new iMac, no one has copied it yet that I know of.
I like having my monitor high off the desk and close to my face, and the imac arm does this very well Other than that I would go for a portable.
Mark

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Just what I needed to hear. [sigh]. Just to throw some more snags in the plan? I wonder what.... iMacs, eh? Towers? Are they bringing the Cube back?? LOL.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Minnes, I like the iMac's arm as well, but I could go with the PB's 17" screen with no real difficulty. I would like to choose the best computer for my needs, especially since they both have the same screen.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Re: The Delay until June

As promising as it was, I only ever saw it on rumour sites, and the only time I did see it on a more reputable new site they had the "according to rumour" disclaimer in front of it.

I do not remember anyone coming out and saying for sure "We are going to wait until June on some models", only rumour sites saying that someone would say that, and then no one did. This may be the reason that Quarks boss said those things he said, angry that Apple is not waiting for them.

But keep this in mind: The only Macs as of right now that cannot boot OS 9 are the 12" and 17" PowerBooks. You will have OS 9 booting Macs until every one of the current model lines are replaced. As to when that happens, no one knows but Apple. I don't mind that they keep new models secret either, because when they used to tell us no one would buy any of the computers, they would end up with a huge glut of stock which they'd sell below cost and the company was losing money like there was no tomorrow.

And it isnt like your existing machines wont boot OS 9, anything you have right now wil still boot OS 9 forever. So if you are an OS 9 user, you are not going to be able to buy a new mac until you finally switch up. Those waiting for Quark I fear may be waiting a while as Quark seems entirely dis-interested in the Mac right now.

I know it is not what you want to hear, but have some of you even tried InDesign? Adobe is a good company, and actually supports their product with updates and whatnot! Again, I know that isn;t what you want to hear, I am sure learning all the ins and outs of a new app seems as daunting as learning the ins and outs of the new OS, and even worse when you would have to do both at the same time.

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Something is definetly up! For the first time EVER I got a call from MacWarehouse and they said they were calling to "update their customer information". I bought some small stuff, like, three years ago and now they call? Well anyway, the direction of the call was to sell me something, quote: "make me a reasonable offer for what you'd like to buy a G4 tower for today". :eek:
:eek: I told the salesman I was holding out until the Tokyo Expo or until the tower updates come through before I will buy something new and that abruptly ended our conversation.

Me thinks there will be something very huge on the Mac scene soon...

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I think we can count on a major Powermac update this spring, I would think before march/
They have to get firewire 800 and airport extreme, and maybe 266mhz bus speed to the powermacs and whatever else they got.
the January powerbooks were a bigger update than the fall 2002, so we are expecting a major update to the pmacs.
maybe a 1.4ghz revised g4?
I dont expect any more, but it's fun to contemplate

1 - 20 of 21 Posts