Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a new member here I kept coming back because I saw how nice and friendly the community was.

I'm not sure what has changed...time and the odds I suppose...but it seems as though people's attitude have really began to change.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this post but I believe it has to be said.

Judging people based on what they post is totally inappropriate.

Accusations are inappropriate.

Unjustified sarcasm and attitude is also inappropriate.

People have lives and backgrounds and personalities that none of us know anything about, and which are really none of our business. What gives any of us the right to judge the next person? I think some are abusing the anonomous nature of this forum by not giving everyone the respect that they would normally be giving on a face to face level.

I think other than in extreme cases (or in cases in which it is necessary) people should really keep their opinions, comments, accusations, and judging to themselves.

I think that is how the forum was intended to run at the beginning, no?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Pamela wrote:
Judging people based on what they post is totally inappropriate.

Unfortunately, that's all we see of you. If you act like a twit on here, don't be surprised if you're treated like one. If, for example, you post comments asking how to best dodge paying duty and taxes, don't be surprised if some say that what you're doing isn't right, because it's not.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You call it "dogding" taxes...I call it being informed and knowing in advance what taxes/duties apply to me and my situation so I can get the best deal. Is that a crime? Wanting to get the best deal? I'm new at importing and purchasing certain products from certain places. I'm also new at having a business and knowing what taxes are applicable, and which get written off and which don't. I'm also a student. There are advantages to both of these situations and I am trying to learn them. I thought posting a topic on it would allow for those with experience in these areas to give some advice and stories on experience.

I didn't realize I would be looked at as a
"twit".

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Pamela wrote:
I call it being informed and knowing in advance what taxes/duties apply to me and my situation so I can get the best deal. Is that a crime?

It is a crime if you decide to sneak your equipment through customs (which is something you've stated you're thinking of doing).

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Avoidance of paying taxes is a crime.

Just ask Al Capone.

jfpoole, I heartily support your comments.

We do not support pirated software, so why should we be supporting obvious questsions for illegal activity?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
pamela wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I have nothing to hide. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing except a Power Mac G4 in your car's trunk as you cross the border into Canada it seems.

Then self justifying it on top of that under the guise of "getting the best deal."

pamela wrote earlier:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> All I have to do is figure out a way to get around the Canadian Tax...which at 14.5% would end up being around $450. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
macspectrum wrote:
Nothing except a Power Mac G4 in your car's trunk as you cross the border into Canada it seems.

Hey! How can you make such blatant accusations? We don't know her in real life, after all, so it's hardly fair!

For all we know, she could have a van :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Pamela, when you write that "...it seems as
though people's attitude have really began to change", I wish you had written "the attitude of some people...". Personally, I want to stand for what I believe in, and who I am, rather than to be lumped in with a group of people. Most of us here in ehMacLand believe and practice the idea of "live and let live". Some may take issue with things that are said, and take a view "over the top". Still, it is a free and open society we share here. If you disagree with things people are suggesting, or with what they are saying about you personally, then you have the right and responsibility for "setting them straight". I speak from personal experiences, and have been "raked over the coals" oftentimes for things I have said in this forum. Still, I have come away from each encounter a bit wiser, and have actually made a friend or two (albeit in a virtual sense). Hopefully, you will not let the views of some prevent you from experiencing this knowledge-sharing and friendship.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macspectrum:
pamela wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I have nothing to hide. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then self justifying it on top of that under the guise of "getting the best deal."

pamela wrote earlier:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> All I have to do is figure out a way to get around the Canadian Tax...which at 14.5% would end up being around $450. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you just *love* to take things out of context don't you macspectrum
Your english teachers must have loved you...

·
Registered
363 Posts
i'm with you all the way, jfpoole

not so much in this particular scenario, but in the general philosophy

there aren't many people in this world that i hold back for, and asking me to not speak my mind in the sarcastic tone that it operates on is a weighty request.

i don't support beligerant badgering, just honesty.
stating the cold, hard truth is the most effective form of communication.
one doesn't need to sugar-coat to be respectful.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
Pamela, when you write that "...it seems as
though people's attitude have really began to change", I wish you had written "the attitude of some people...". Personally, I want to stand for what I believe in, and who I am, rather than to be lumped in with a group of people. Most of us here in ehMacLand believe and practice the idea of "live and let live". Some may take issue with things that are said, and take a view "over the top". Still, it is a free and open society we share here. If you disagree with things people are suggesting, or with what they are saying about you personally, then you have the right and responsibility for "setting them straight". I speak from personal experiences, and have been "raked over the coals" oftentimes for things I have said in this forum. Still, I have come away from each encounter a bit wiser, and have actually made a friend or two (albeit in a virtual sense). Hopefully, you will not let the views of some prevent you from experiencing this knowledge-sharing and friendship.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

now if everyone could be like Dr. G
lol

First of all. I didn't realize that stating that "...it seems as though people's attitude have really began to change", would be taken as "everyone's" attitude. I would like to adjust that statement to say that "certain people's attitudes have changed".

"If you disagree with things people are suggesting, or with what they are saying about you personally, then you have the right and responsibility for "setting them straight"."

I wish I could take the view of "setting people straight". I used to, but then found it to be an effort in futility with some people here. It seems that some people in life just like to spend their time arguing and judging people instead of hearing their side. I actually tried to be "the adult" and contacted one member off of the forum to try and straighten things out and they just wanted no part of it...I just got more immature responses and sarcasm.

"I speak from personal experiences, and have been "raked over the coals" oftentimes for things I have said in this forum."

Having come in late, it seems hard for me to believe that you were ever "raked over the coals"

Maybe I've spent too much time in the university environment. I am used to certain outlooks on certain topics and most students generally agree on any topic which involves money...lol. Nobody's personalities are soley judged on whether they snuck something across the border, or if they were short with someone once, or if they have a pirtated version of Photoshop. Either I have been a student too long, or some here have forgotten what it was like to be a student (if they ever were one). Or, I guess it could be both. lol.

I think I'll take Dr. G's advice. "I'll live and let live", and I'll "come away from each encounter a bit wiser" and I'll "not let the views of some prevent you from experiencing this knowledge-sharing and friendship".

p.s. And I'll post less controversial topics. lol

·
Registered
363 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
and have actually made a friend or two (albeit in a virtual sense)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you make it sound like that doesn't count.
i would say i have several friends here in ehmac that i would put on par with most of my friends in "real life"

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Pamela, glad to be of service. I can't supply too many Mac-related bits of advice and expertise, but we have the MacMavens for that source.

Re "Having come in late, it seems hard for me to believe that you were ever 'raked over the coals'", let me just say that I have "paid my dues". Actually, the "give and take" can get a bit rough, but you seem to have taken you blows with courage and conviction, so I would not fret over what lies ahead.

Yes, "live and let live" would be a fine way for the world to operate. Have you ever read Robert Fulghum's "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindrgarten"? I give it to my students to read at the start of each semester.

So, "Keep the Faith". Paix.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
pamela typed:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> You call it "dogding" taxes...I call it being informed and knowing in advance what taxes/duties apply to me and my situation so I can get the best deal. Is that a crime? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder what Revenue Canada would call it? pamela, you should call and ask them what "they" call it.

pamela typed:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I actually tried to be "the adult" and contacted one member off of the forum to try and straighten things out and they just wanted no part of it...I just got more immature responses and sarcasm. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I am the person she is speaking of from the cache of emails I have from her.

Her last email was:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Do you or do you not have any interest in resolving this issue between us?

Type yes, or no only. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To quote James T. Kirk; "I don't believe in the 'no-win' scenario" and so I chose not to respond.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Pamela, glad to be of service. I can't supply too many Mac-related bits of advice and expertise, but we have the MacMavens for that source."

Sometimes people need more than just technical advice ;)

"Re "Having come in late, it seems hard for me to believe that you were ever 'raked over the coals'", let me just say that I have "paid my dues". Actually, the "give and take" can get a bit rough, but you seem to have taken you blows with courage and conviction, so I would not fret over what lies ahead."

I'll try. I'm an emotional person and can't stand it if someone thinks badly of me, or misreads my intentions. I try to be a good person in life and live by my morals. I guess that's all I can do...also remembering that people here only see a tiny fraction of who I am, so I'll have to learn how to come across the right way. I'm still kinda new at this forum thing.

"Yes, "live and let live" would be a fine way for the world to operate. Have you ever read Robert Fulghum's "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindrgarten"? I give it to my students to read at the start of each semester."

Never read it, but if you read my post on "what are people reading", you'll notice that I have a new routine and would gladly fit it in after my current read

"So, "Keep the Faith". Paix."

I'll try and keep plugging along, salud.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Sniper, I see your point, but keep in mind that if I walked past one of my virtual friends on the street, I might just keep on going past this person. Personally, I don't care what a person looks like as a determining factor for friendship, but I would not walk past a friend. That is the point I was trying to make with that comment. Thus, this does "count", but in a different manner. I would probably be friends with Peter S. if he lived in his mansion in Ontario, or across the street from me here in St.John's. Now, Macspectrum is another story.........just kidding. :D

Pamela, actually, Macspectrum is a perfect example of what I am trying to say. He has "raked me over the coals" as much as anyone, and yet there is actually more we share in common, and have shared viewpoints, than that which separates us (e.g., he has a Mac, and I have a ............well, let's not open up that can of worms again). We could be friends in the real world, and friends do not always have to agree with the other person. Thus, people here in ehMacLand will like or dislike you just out in the real world, and their likes and dislikes will be rational or absurd, just like in the real world.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Dr. G.,
you missed your calling.
You should have been a diplomat.
Hank Kissenger has got nothing on you !

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Dr.G. wrote:
(e.g., he has a Mac, and I have a ............well, let's not open up that can of worms again).

Dude! You've got a Dell! :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
Pamela, be as the windchime -- in balance with it's emotional and intellectual self...strong yet flexible...unique and fascinating.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts