Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I have a relatively new issue on my 27" Late 2013 iMac running macOS 10.13.4.

This happens with any browser (Safari, Opera, Firefox)

Some sites, sometimes, "pretend" to load, but do not. If I clicked on the offending link from some other page, the browser shows the progress bar as though it's loading the site, and then stays on the same page from where I clicked the link. The URL bar however shows the new page URL. When I press the "reload" button, it reloads the original page and not the one I clicked.

Say for example I was on google.com, and I typed twitter.com in the URL bar. The progress bar shows as though it's loading twitter.com, "completes" loading, and the URL bar shows "twitter.com" but the page stays on google.com. When I hit Reload, it reloads google.com and the URL too changes to google.com.

If I had started from a blank page and I type the URL into the bar, the behaviour is the same - it pretends to load, but the page stays blank.

One example of such a page where I face this issue is http://ww17.lanefx.com/news/10-reasons-to-ditch-blind-spot-mirrors.html.
Another example is twitter.com.

I thought it might be a cache issue or cookies issue, so I tried deleting everything; but it did not help. Also, that theory does not really hold water because it happens with every browser; and it is highly unlikely that every browser should have the identical cache issue on exactly the same page.

I tried changing DNSes, that too did not help.

I used twitter as an example because this happens with twitter too.

This is a problem that I do not know how to google for, since I have no way to form a search phrase for this. See how much text it took me to even describe this issue.

I would appreciate any pointers on what else I could try.

Thanks and cheers

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you Sinc. Did you run Onyx with any special settings or just the basic run?

Edited to add: I ran Onyx maintenance tasks, but it did not solve the issue.

Edited again to add: I just logged in as the Guest user and tried, the problem did not occur. I also tried logging in as another user (wife's username), everything worked fine.

So, the problem is only with my login. What can I do now to resolve this?

Cheers

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Well, first thing I would do is to reinstall the OS. That should wipe out whatever glitch is causing it. I just ran the basic OnyX default set and it worked for me. I should mention that I do not use any other browser but Safari, so that may be why OnyX worked. A reinstall is pretty simple these days and most times will work. Normally I would do a nuke and pave, but in this case it might not be required to eliminate the issue. Trouble is that you cannot just reinstall Safari, altho since it happens with other browsers it is likely the OS itself. You have to reinstall the entire OS to get a new copy of the browser which is a pain Apple has created. One should be able to erase and reinstall just the browser and one used to be able to do just that, but no more as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
15,654 Posts
Have you tried clean booting and using Safe Boot Mode and see if some third-party software is casuing the problem,

You might want to use and run MALWAREBYTES FOR MAC.app just in case as well.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Also, try disabling all or any browser extensions you might have installed.

It's a bit odd that all your browsers seem to be affected.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
15,654 Posts
Well, first thing I would do is to reinstall the OS.

Downloading and running the compatible Mac OS COMBO Update would be more than enough, but neither will remove any third-party software that may be causing the problem.

Just saying… but it sure won't hurt to try.

·
Premium Member
15,654 Posts
Trouble is that you cannot just reinstall Safari, altho since it happens with other browsers it is likely the OS itself.

Just for the record, various versions of Safari are available here:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15675/apple-safari

And I thought I saw some versions somewhere at the Apple site, under Support or App Store, I can't recall which, but Apple likes to hide things for some odd reason.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
15,654 Posts
BTW: A HEADS UP WARNING ABOUT SAFARI UPDATE Version 11.1

From comment:
B-Jefferson-Le-Blanc Member Icon
REVIEW
+1015
B-Jefferson-Le-BlancApr 26, 201812345+0Be warned: Safari 11.1 kills most of your extensions. And the ones I use, like 1Password, have not, as of this date—April 26—have not been updated to work in Safari 11.1. Of course we couldn't expect Apple to warn us about this, could we. If anyone else has a different experience of this, please let me know.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15675/apple-safari

And related about 1Password.app
1 password extension stopped working with Safari 11.1
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/426309

PS: I don't use any of these, and I'm still back in using Mavericks 10.9.5 mostly.

Just thought I'd mention the facts for other users…

- Patrick
======

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Killing extensions is not a bad idea. A LOT of so-called "browser issues" trace back to extensions........ Especially multiple extensions......... Jes' sayin'........ :D

Also, BEWARE OF MACDATE links they seem to have the dreaded MacKeeper links embedded more tha previously!!!:eek:

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, first thing I would do is to reinstall the OS. That should wipe out whatever glitch is causing it. I just ran the basic OnyX default set and it worked for me. I should mention that I do not use any other browser but Safari, so that may be why OnyX worked. A reinstall is pretty simple these days and most times will work. Normally I would do a nuke and pave, but in this case it might not be required to eliminate the issue. Trouble is that you cannot just reinstall Safari, altho since it happens with other browsers it is likely the OS itself. You have to reinstall the entire OS to get a new copy of the browser which is a pain Apple has created. One should be able to erase and reinstall just the browser and one used to be able to do just that, but no more as far as I know.
Thank you Since - I shall try this when I have some time to spare for this. That said, I still wonder how the problem never manifested itself for any user other than my user. If it were ask OS issue, wouldn't it be logical to presume that it would affect all users?

Have you tried clean booting and using Safe Boot Mode and see if some third-party software is casuing the problem,

You might want to use and run MALWAREBYTES FOR MAC.app just in case as well.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Also, try disabling all or any browser extensions you might have installed.

It's a bit odd that all your browsers seem to be affected.

- Patrick
======
MalwareBytes shows nothing wrong.

My machine is clean-booted every day (meaning started up from power-off. Have not tried Safe-boot yet - will try that shortly and post an update.

Re. extensions, all users have the same extensions enabled; and the same browsers. I am bewildered by how it affects only my user ID. And even in the browsers, each browser has a different set of extensions enabled (uBlock Origin for Safari, Ghostery for Firefox; and Opera's built-in blocker for Opera). Again, behaviour across browsers is identical!

Killing extensions is not a bad idea. A LOT of so-called "browser issues" trace back to extensions........ Especially multiple extensions......... Jes' sayin'........ :D. *SNIP*
Thank you rGray. Please see my response to Patrick :)

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Just experienced it, trying to get to RBC from another site. Opened a new tab, and RBC loaded immediately so it's not connectivity.

·
Premium Member
15,654 Posts
Thank you Since - I shall try this when I have some time to spare for this. That said, I still wonder how the problem never manifested itself for any user other than my user. If it were ask OS issue, wouldn't it be logical to presume that it would affect all users?

Logical summation IMHO.

I don't suppose using Safari's "Reset Safari" would fix things. But maybe worth a try, or just try a few at a time, like only just the first four at first, then maybe five, etc…

BTW: What are you doing to allow the OS X maintenance tasks to run if you turn off you Mac every day??

And are the others also turning off their Macs daily??

- Patrick
======

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
*SNIP*

BTW: What are you doing to allow the OS X maintenance tasks to run if you turn off you Mac every day??

And are the others also turning off their Macs daily??

- Patrick
======
I am afraid I completely forgot that maintenance tasks are usually run at night when the Mac is not being usually used. Therefore, the answer to your question is, "nothing".

However, since I ran Onyx recently, I expect that the maintenance tasks would've been carried out at that time. I just need to remember and run Onyx every day I guess.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,654 Posts
However, since I ran Onyx recently, I expect that the maintenance tasks would've been carried out at that time. I just need to remember and run Onyx every day I guess.

I would suggest that's completely overly excessive and a waste of time.

Also, I'm sure I read somewhere that the recent macOS actually run some maintenance when booted from cold, or was that during using a Safe Boot Mode startup??? I can't recall exactly.

PS: Why not just let the Mac go to sleep. It will still do everything as expected and more.

- Patrick
======

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do let it go to sleep for a couple of hours in the evenings, between the time I am done with using the machine and the time my wife starts to use the machine :)

I hope that will give it time to run maintenance?

Cheers

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I used to sleep my Macs all the time without issue, but the last two laptops I had were nothing but trouble when I did so. The Apple store advised me to shut it off after use and reboot it to ensure it would be trouble free. They were right about that at least. I shut it down now several times each day and not a single issue in two years of use. YMMV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts