Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks!

I have a couple quick questions here for the guru's.

I am looking at getting into video editing, only as a hobby. I will be purchasing a mini-DV camera this spring. I am pretty sure i can grasp this stuff, first in iMovie, and then eventually in Final Cut Pro.

First off, what are you opinions regarding Final Cut. Specifically a novice stepping into it. Should i take a course? I am pretty computer savvy, but i am afraid since it is a Pro program, it will be way to advanced for me to grasp.

Secondly, I really want to make my own DVD's of my movies. I currently have a 733MHZ G4 Power Mac Quicksilver. That machine did not come with a Superdrive. Is it as simple as buying an external DVD burner and running iDVD? Do I have to buy iDVD from Apple? Will any DVD burner work with iDVD?

I really hope some Pro's can help out here.

Thanks,

Max

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
External burners will not work with iDVD (DVD Studio Pro supports a small number of external DVD burners officially).
Most any DVD Burner will work, providing it is a Pioneer drive/mechanism. The Pioneer DVR-104 is currently in the LCD iMac and eMac, and I am not sure whether the PowerMac is using the 104 or the newer faster DVR-A05 model.

So yeah, Pioneer is where it is at.

--PB

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Oh, and yeah, you will have to buy iDVD from Apple if you want to use it.

Also, the DVD burner would be replacing the burner that is in there, just so that is clear.

Um, I think that is all the questions....

--PB

·
Registered
175 Posts
Regarding Final Cut Pro. Its quite easy. I learned how to use it in about 10 minutes. I have never touched iMovie though so I don't know if it will help you in learning Final Cut Pro. I find that going from an easy idea to a harder idea is usually harder than just going straight to the harder concept. Really depends on the person though.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PosterBoy:
Oh, and yeah, you will have to buy iDVD from Apple if you want to use it.
--PB
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think this can be done.
Apple does NOT sell iDVD on its own.

I have however seen it installed an newer systems that do not even have Superdrive capabilities. (ie: New Powerbook G4 867Mhz)

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
huh, they dont. I thought they still did, a la iMovie Downlaod Edition for 75$. It is worth calling the AppleStore to find out if they still did. I seem to recall an option for iDVD 1. of course, I could be wrong. In either case, DVD Studio Pro is much more powerful anyway, except it doesn't come with a manual.

--PB

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Apple currently sells the iDVD 2.1 upgrade (on DVD) at the AppleStore.ca site; I'm not exactly sure what this "upgrade" is, but as it's on a 4.7GB disk there must be something on the thing. However I wouldn't expect to find the original app there (or at least the installer script will look for an app to upgrade).

I purchased iDVD 2.0 from Apple Canada about a year ago (again, on a single DVD). The iDVD upgrade is available via free download (manually or via SW Update Control Panel) to bring this to v2.1.

Perhaps it has something to do with iDVD now being bundled with newer SuperDrive equipped Macs; last September it was a new application and as such, wasn't on the HD or included disks of my Quicksilver (built SE 2001).

Update: I had no trouble finding the iDVD 2 disk for sale at Apple Canada's website. From the opening page, click on "software", then iDVD, and then click the fairly obvious "Get iDVD 2" button. This is one of many Apple Canada pages that are actually Apple USA pages; so they offer the disk for $US 29.95. Expect to pay about $45 plus tax & shipping. I don't think it's specifically listed at the Canadian AppleStore site, but it appears you can still get it.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
With all respect to Alesh, you may be able to grasp basic editing functions of Final Cut Pro on your own, with the manual, but I highly recommend a course if you want to do anything *right* in FCP.

I've been teaching digital video editing for about five years (on AVID Media Composer), and wouldn't feel comfortable about working in FCP without a lot of "gettin' acquainted' time.

iMovie is a dream. Extremely simple interface, from bringing in video to putting it back out. Lots of add-ons available as well, in titles and effects. A great place to get your feet wet.

M.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input everyone!

Posterboy, you input was awesome, I am glad i can just plop a Superdrive in my machine and go.

I am going to consider a course for FCP. Seems like if i didn't, i might be missing out on some cool features or tricks that i wouldn't figure out otherwise.

I have played with iMovie, and it works great, but i found it far too basic for what i wanted.

Thanks again to everyone,

Max

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have been looking at the Firewiredirect.com website, seeing as I am trying to figure out what is the route to go with a new machine, or used, or whatever. It looks as though there are some considerations with the newest A05 pioneer drive. According to Firewire direct it will work with any machine with system 9.2 and up if you buy the external version. If you want to go with the internal drive, it will only work with 10.2.2. If iDVD doesn't work with external drives, and you don't have 10.2.2. installed, you may find your configuration not working.

My 2 cents

1 - 10 of 10 Posts