Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just brought home my 1st laptop (a 12 inch Powerbook), and I noticed that at the top of my screen is one supertiny pinhead sized bright dot (noticable only against darker colours). Has anyone else encountered this issue, is it common? Should I get Apple to fix this? And of course, what it this little super bright pinspot?

Thanks for any info....

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Sounds like a stuck pixel
There may be a fix by seting the screen to different bright colours, I read this article about 6 months ago.
There was an Apple help section on this issue, maybe someone else can track it down
or just go to apple customer support and type in stuck pixel

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Dead pixels are common in LCDs. One pixel will not quality for warranty replacement. It has to be, I think, more than five or two within an inch of each other to quality for replacement. (Most companies have a similar policy).

You can however, sometimes "massage the pixel" back to life. Gently rub on it with a lint-free cloth and it may fix itself.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
It takes seven dead pixels as I recall, and I am not sure of that "2 within an inch of one another" though.

And that may sound like a low number, but a lot of companies use 10 or 12 as their warranty number, so it ain't so bad.

--PB

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I thin the rule is fairly flexible about how many dead or stuck pixels (it's usually around five), depending where they are on the screen, and other factors.

I have heard of people massaging them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts