Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Solutions for Diabetics???

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  MaxPower 
#1 ·
I was wondering if any out there has Diabetes?

I have had this disease for over 10 years and I was wondering if there is any software to record test results that is compatible with the Mac (OSX) and the Lifescan Ultra blood glucose monitor?

The last time I checked they didn't have a Mac solution for the monitor (that suprised me since the service rep told me they use Macs as well).

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, however I should have been more specific.

I was looking for software that will work with my meter and download my test results when I connect the meter to my Mac.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Discussion starter · #6 ·
I've been trying VPC6 at work and I havn't been impressed with the results. Sluggish and Windoze frequently restarts.

I just put an inquiry into lifescan to see if there was a Mac client on th ehorizon. Every time I talk to them there is a Mac client coming. I guess we'll have to keep bugging them.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I will have had type 1 for 11 years in August.

I try to stay on a very regimented diet, and excercising as much as I can. Between the excercise and testing I can really control my glucose levels (average 5.4). This week hasn't been the best though - in the 10's :eek: Have to get on the treadmill tonight.

As far as a program goes, minimal work is the key. That's why I've been so interested in the Lifescan product. You simply plug your monitor into the computer via USB I presume, and download your test results off of the monitor. Looks slick to me. However If you want to create a DB then go for it!

BTW, I used to know a guy in TO who's nickname was moose. I don't suppose you have any afilliation to any one in Grimsby? If you don't feel comfortable giving out identifying info on the net, email me.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
This is true. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
I just got a reply from Lifescan in regards to the software:

Thank you for visiting the LifeScan Canada Web site and for taking the time
to write to us. We hope you found the site useful and encourage you to
visit again soon.

In regards to your question, there are no plans to release a Macintosh
version of In Touch*. You can however find software that should function with
your Macintosh on www.childrenwithdiabetes.com.

The OneTouch*UltraSmart* will be available in Canada in this Spring 2003.

The suggested retail price has not been determined yet.

Our Canadian Web site: www.OneTouch.ca will contain further information in
the near future, we would suggest you visit it for more details. If we can
be of further service please do not hesitate in contacting us.

At LifeScan we strive to improve the quality of life for people with
diabetes. We hope our innovative products and quality services continue to
meet your personal testing needs. If we can be of further assistance or you
wish to discuss this further, please let us know via e-mail or at
 or by calling our LifeScan Customer Care
line at 1 800 663 5521.

Sounds like the typical corporate brush off to me.
:mad:

So if you use a Lifescan meter let's all come together and keep writing them to release a Mac version of the sotware.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Thanks jrtech, I just downloaded it. I'll give it a try.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Would any one else here like to get a discussion about anything diabetes related?

It's something I've always been interested in doing, but never have. I find it's good to talk to others who share the same condition to help better understand it and control it.

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 11 years. I was suffering from the typical symptoms - extreme thirst and frequent urination for about a month. I was diagnosed one week to the day after I had my wisdom teeth pulled when I became violently ill. I couldn't keep anything down.

My Mother rushed me to the emergency room where they immediately admitted me to do some tests and found that my glucose level was 30!!! from there they stuck me in ICU for about a week where they worked at regulating my glucose levels. Once it was at a safe level, I was moved to the general ward.

During the time I spent in the hospital, I made a commitment to myself that I would control the disease, not have it control me. I live by that philosophy every day.

I control my diabetes with two daily injections, diet and excercise. the last two are critical to the management of my diabetes. I notice when I excercise regularly, the improvements in my glucose levels. I strongly beleive that with proper care, there is no reason why someone can't live a long and healthy life with this condition. I can eat what everyone else eats (in moderation) - I even go to Dairy Queen for a Chocolate Extreme Blizzard as a treat now and again :eek: provided my blood is in check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.