Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys: I was wondering if anyone here has tried to set up a home network using a Mac with an airport card as a software base station? I am thinking of trying this route. I have an iMac 17inch and a Sony Vaio laptop running Win98. My DSL provider uses PPPoe....would that pose any problems?

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TripleX:
Hi guys: I was wondering if anyone here has tried to set up a home network using a Mac with an airport card as a software base station? I am thinking of trying this route. I have an iMac 17inch and a Sony Vaio laptop running Win98. My DSL provider uses PPPoe....would that pose any problems?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see why not. Give it a try.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
A base station just includes the network and wireless components of a regular computer. A real Mac hardwired to the network works exactly the same, provided it's airport compatible.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Actually, I am doing just that, connecting a host Mac (Cube running Jaguar) on Sympatico with a Mac in another room (iMac) running OS 9. Gives me email and internet access as well as shared files. My only problem is that some websites won't connect with this setup - there's a thread on this in Emergency Room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts