Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kayak at least once a week and yesterday while beautiful turned out to be a little disastrous. I had a crack in the bottom of my kayak that I had patched on the weekend. Turns out there is a another one that I missed which led to the back of my kayak getting a lot of water. I did not sink thankfully but the supposed dry box area in the kayak came out and my phone and keys were floating around in the back. I am not sure how long the phone was in the water, not sure if it came out when I lifted the kayak up to drain all the water or if it had come out earlier in the voyage. I am assuming it came out at the end so did not spend a whole lot of time submerged, but just an assumption.

Anyways long story short the phone was off when I pulled it out, I have not attempted to turn it on and put it in a container of rice immediately when I got home. I know the iPhone is supposed to be water resistant to a point and would have thought it should have been safe here as there was no way it was under a meter of water for an our. Is there some sort of fail safe where the phone turns itself off when detecting water in a situation like this? Not sure how long I should leave my phone in the rice and the temptation is to try it out. It is my only phone so I obviously want to have it up and running soon.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was not expecting any magic just thought the rice somehow pulled the moisture away by some sort of absorption. Nothing scientific and obviously not going to be effective, one of those old fairy tale remedies. Guess I will just have to wait and see as I definitely do not have the tools to take it apart. Hopefully not being in salt water helps at least. If not will have to shell out for a new one.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts