Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody's going to call you Garry. This is Intuit, of the "Quark is a customer service firm to emulate" school.

I do my taxes on Windows (running on VPC) and use TaxWiz, because even the Wintel version of QuickTax sucks.

You can look into GriffTax (MacOS only) or a web-based return. Intuit doesn't deserve the business they get, and the reasons are about 90% attitude, 10% product.

I've been doing taxes with QuickTax since 1994, and during the 99 tax year they lost me for good. Suffice to say that they are No.1 on my list of worst suppport, zero respect for customers, and near-perfect record of breaking every promise.

Now that you've started this thread, just watch as everybody jumps in to spew venom.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have been gripping about this product for too long now. I just found out that it would not be shipping until the 28th of Feb. What a waste of my time this company is!

I then turned to grifftax, which is cheaper, runs on the Mac OS (although only on 9 right now) and does up to 25 people per licence where quicktax will only let you do 5 before you have to shell out another 50 bucks to do one more person

The renewal for griftax is cheaper if you already have used the program before and I called their number just to talk with them and see what the product was like and they got back to me right away! No long waits on the phone. Yes there will be a little bit of a long distance call, but I have had a 15 dollar bill from Intuit after being on hold for 45 minutes to to talk to a tech guy last year about a patch that was supposed to be coming out for the Mac.

Intuit can go to hell in my opinion! Crappy softare and even crappier customer support!

Griftftax takes a little getting used to but it works great! check them out! I am glad I did
http://www.grifftax.ca/grifftax/home.htm

When my QuickTax comes from them, it is promptly being refused at the door and sent right straight back to them for a refund!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, I am seriously pissed about this. I ordered and paid for Quicktax for the Mac on line at the end of December 02. My e-mailed receipt says that shipping date for the product is January 15/03. So it is now Feb 15/03 and no Quicktax. Never mind that Quicktax for Winbloze is already in the local Wal-Mart. I phoned Intuit [cuz if you look at their site there is no e-mail address for customer service, no doubt because their inbox would be flooded with complaints] last week and was told [after being on hold for a ***king eternity] that Quicktax for the Mac wasn't in production yet. Now how the hell does that work? But I have a receipt that says the shipping date was a month ago, said I. Gee, too bad, says the bored rep on the other end. I have already paid for the product I protested. Another yawn and an offer to have a supervisor call me was the response. No surprise, nobody has phoned me yet. I am not impressed and if anyone from Intuit is out there, rest assured that although I have been buying your product since its inception, I won't make that ***king

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I would be ripped to Gary-and if you ever do get you your copy it would probably be the US version or arrive well after tax time. I think I would be inclined to spread the Word on this one Very Loudly to all. No Dam Product -No Dam support :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Geez, I was so mad when I wrote the original post, I left out a bit of it. As I am sure you all have guessed noone from Intuit has tried to contact me. Too bad I wasn't a lawyer cuz I would organize a class action suit against these lying *ssholes. If what one of the previous posters is true, the product won't ship until after it is too late to make an RRSP contribution.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some things I recently learned about Intuit Canada:

They are under investigation by the Competition Bureau, related to Intuit's November 2002 purchase of Taxamatic (Richmond Hill, ON). Taxamatic makes the only retail boxed competition to QuickTax, TaxWiz.

Amongst the changes to TaxWiz for Tax Year 2002 are the same 6-return limit as was previously introduced into QuickTax 2001 (QT 2000 introduced a 4 return limit, but Intuit raised the limit in response to overwhelming consumer complaints). Previously, TaxWiz allowed unlimited returns. Intuit also raised the TaxWiz price so that there is now only a $5 difference in price between the two programs.

Alternatives to QuickTax are:
GriffTax Simple:
MacOS, Windows; download only
A simplified program which handles, RRSP, Pension, charitable & medical expenses, T4 income and Interest income. Download for free, pay $5 per return to eFile. I'm assuming printing is suppported, which means effectively free if you mail in a return. GriffTax esitmates this version covers the needs of 8 million filers.

GriffTax
MacOS; download or CD
The venerable Mac tax software from the accounting firm Collin Griffiths & Associates. Doesn't have the "bells & whistles" of QuickTax or TaxWiz; if you are familiar with filing paper-based returns you should be able to use it with a minimal learning curve.

I'm not sure of the current version, but the previous versions (including last year's) run on any Macintosh from the Mac Plus or later, running System 6 or greater. GriffTax is probably the world's first computer-based tax preparation software; it was introduced in 1984.

On a personal note, I tried GriffTax for TY2000 returns; it worked well but I had problems printing to my admittedly unusual HP 1600PSN printer. Since this was running an early version of OSX, via a hacked LaserJet driver, I wouldn't go as far as saying it was GriffTax's fault. In any case, GriffTax responded to eMail queries, and when we couldn't fix the problem a prompt refund was paid. Had I not learned of Intuit's purchase of TaxWiz (which I can run under VPC) I would probably have used TaxWiz again this year. Now, I'm thinking of giving GriffTax another look. Unlike Intuit's products, GriffTax is essentially the same program each year; an updater is downloaded to cover the current return.

This makes it much easier to open and revise previous year's returns, something that QuickTax makes very difficult. For example, I can't open my returns from 1994 and 1995 because I can't install the floppy-based version of QuickTax; the 1996 version won't run under OS9.

GriffTax

1 - 6 of 6 Posts