Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Emergency Room section but got no response. Can anyone help?

I'm looking for an illustrated guide (or very clear instructions) for putting an iBook (14") space bar back after cleaning the keyboard.

Yes, I'm an idiot.

Help!
Sandy

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Sandy, there is a trick to this (similar to the normal keys). The back side of the space bar (nearest the screen) has a metal rod with C shaped ends. Make sure its sitting properly in the two outermost acceptors on the underside of the space bar. Then, align the C's under the two metal slots on the outside of the two outer white plastic key press clips (there are three for the space bar). Then use a straightened paper clip to lift the rear part of each key press scissor clip and gently press these onto the small acceptors on the back underside of the space bar. Start at one end and do all three. This anchors the back of the key. Then, you should be able to lower the front part of the bar onto the little press studs on the front side of the key presses. But before you do this, make sure the frontal metal bar aligns with the two metal slots that you slid the back metal bar under (otherwise it'll rattle and not seat correctly). Pressing down on the front part of the bar should fix it into place.

Difficult to describe, but basically, you align the back edge of the space bar first, and then the front edge.

I rather stupidly took off the space bar on my laptop to remind myself..... but its back now

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bless you, sir. Your solution was a marvel of clearly written instructions.

The problem, it turns out, was that I had the rear metal rod snapped into the plastic 'acceptors' intended for the key press clips. (The rod must have come loose at some point earlier, and I snapped it back into the wrong groove.)

Once I moved the rod to the right place, it became much easier to get the space bar back where it belongs.

It works now, thanks to you, so Idon'thavetotypelikethisanymore!

SMc ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.