Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early yesterday afternoon I put in my order for the 14" m1 max - I did some custom config changes to it so I have to wait a bit longer, but I should have it between oct 27-nov 3! Can't wait!!

I've been holding off since the release of the m1 13" mbp - because I wanted the apps I use all the time to be tested with the mac processor, and almost immediately I heard the rumours of the 14" version. So I figured I would wait.

Who else is excited? Did you order?

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only apple suite product I use is garage band - and that's just for recording my podcast. I'm Adobe everything else, and a bunch of other tools.... but I have my 2017 MBP I can still do stuff with if needed.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
So nice of Apple to add these new features like ports! Wish I could have had these years ago on my old MacBook Pro's.... oh wait.

I am still on a maxed out 5K iMac that runs great for what I do with Adobe, but I have been hearing amazing things about the new chips from Apple. Not all that interested in dropping more money into Apple at the moment though, have not been happy with the way they have been heading and the lack of any substantial improvements to the OS that actually makes my life better. I am also a bit of a hold out because of some older not 64bit apps I use that have no version that will work in a 64 bit only OS. I do drool when I hear about the performance with Adobe though, I make my living with Adobe CC.

·
Premium Member
16,084 Posts
I’m on the fence with going for a maxxed out 16. But pro tools and other related stuff isn’t fully qualified yet so I may ha g back and go on the next incremental update.
You may want to consider if the report about noise in turbo boost mode would be a concern for you:

The redesigned MacBook Pro might be more powerful than you think, provided you have the right configuration. Apple has confirmed to Engadget and MacRumors that the 16-inch MacBook Pro with an M1 Max chip can invoke a previously hinted-at "High Power Mode." While the company was shy on details, macOS Monterey beta code suggested the mode would "optimize performance" for demanding tasks in return for the possibility of more fan noise.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
350 Posts
Who else is excited? Did you order?
Count me as excited! I've got my order in for a 14" M1 Pro. I had an order in earlier but after some consideration I cancelled that original order and put in a new one with RAM bumped up to 32GB. Here's my new config:
Font Parallel Number Logo Electric blue

Should be awesome! Unfortunately because I had to cancel and re-order my new one isn't expected to arrive until early December but I'm hopeful Apple might pull off one of its surprise shipping miracles and get it here sooner. Hey, it's been known to happen! 😄

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I had a leetol chuckle when I read the title of this thread. It prompted a vision of excited lemmings, Kool-Aid, and reality distortion fields.

Maybe best described as a Monty Python moment.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Too often more has been promised than delivered ..this time there is lot more...even beyond my expectations.
Whatever you do buy extended Applecare+.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Too often more has been promised than delivered ..this time there is lot more...even beyond my expectations.
Whatever you do buy extended Applecare+.
Good advice on the AppleCare+ ... I've actually never bought it for my Macs in the past (and fortunately haven't needed it) but with this essentially being a "first generation" I think I might add it.

Also, yeah these machines are incredible! The only thing that irks me a little is that with the emphasized "camera housing" (aka notch) it seems to suggest that these should have FaceID... but they don't. Seems pretty obvious it'll come in a future version of the product. Not a deal breaker for me though - TouchID is very handy on the Mac and my Apple Watch already unlocks my Mac effortlessly!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts