1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Doesn't surprise me, and it is true. The smaller the area or city, the less there is to do or keep occupied with. That combined with boredom increases the level of crime as that is what some people resort to in the end to keep them doing 'something.' I'm not sure if smaller cities or rural areas have more violent crime than bigger cities, but they certainly have more crime overall.

·
Registered
867 Posts
It's not quite that simple, Lars - not just "less to do or keep occupied with … [and] boredom" - There are also factors such as: economics (rural areas tend to be economically, shall we say, limited, with fewer employment opportunities than urban areas); less access to health & mental health services; smaller, less frequent police presence. The stats are interesting, but are just one tiny part of a bigger picture.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
There are also factors such as: economics (rural areas tend to be economically, shall we say, limited, with fewer employment opportunities than urban areas); less access to health & mental health services; smaller, less frequent police presence. The stats are interesting, but are just one tiny part of a bigger picture.
Good points. I entirely agree.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Lars, thanks for acknowledging that - living in a small (very small!) town in the midst of a rural area, I often hear stats, "common knonwledge", etc. that make appraisals about small town/rural life that ignore the bigger picture … I am very committed to small town life, & to working to make it better in the ways that it needs to be better, while preserving the aspects that make it so wonderful.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Lived in Both

I have lived small town and big city. Now choose a medium sized city.

Small towns can be rough and nasty. It gets personal.

Big cities can be rough and nasty. It's business.

Your odds of getting caught up in it in a small town are less. Trouble has a name. but if you do, it is every bit as serious as big city trouble.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ah yes living in an urban enviroment isn't my idea of Utopia, :ptptptptp Thing is in a small town, it won't take you long to find out who to avoid, provided you want to stay out of trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts