Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or are there more and more people using Mac's? Has anyone done a "recent" study?

I find that lately I am hearing more and more aqauntances of mine have Macs or are getting Macs. I've also noticed more and more people in Airports using Macs.

This may just be an anectdotal obeservation on my part but it sure does look like more and more people are using Macs...

At New Years this year we had about 25 people over and at least half of them use Macs... maybe I am just hanging with the cool crowd. :D

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Not really...remember, birds of a feather flock together. IDC has just reported that Apple's market share of new machines is dropping...about 3 percent now. You're probably hanging out with an ever-shrinking crowd of cool people.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nah..

When you see stats, they are about marketshare of sold product during the period. Not of used product.

Basicaly, if Apple sells 2x more macs but the increase in sales of pcs is 2.1x, they will say that the mac market share is shrinking while in fact the number of users doubled.

So you may see more mac users, but the % in the overall population is smaller. But who cares? a lot of the pc sales (when talking about the low end) is to people who wouldnt buy a mac anyway...

Its all about stats and what you want them to say...

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Obviously, you're just hanging out with the right crowd!
Or you've been a really good influence on your friends. :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Market share numbers are misleading because they often factor in every computer sold for every purpose including POS terminals, servers, etc.

It's like saying BMW has only 2% of the market share, but instead of comparing them to cars your are comparing them to everything with 4 wheels and an engine including tractors, go karts and ride on lawn mowers.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Macs last 5 years? That's an old figure that I think is highly unreliable. If we were to take that seriously then I'd be running an Power Macintosh Blue and White. How many of us have such an old system here? I'm not a power user but since 1996 I have purchased a PowerCenter, a PowerTower Pro and a G4 for an average of about 2.4 years.

You can play around with your exercise all you want but it's simply a model that's only as good as what you input.

As for your other "facts", here are some rebuttals:

A. Not all PC users are gamers, the vast majority (what? 90%?) are your usual office user and surfer. My two brothers, who are "gamers" in that they have tons of games, have systems that have lasted over three years. Gamers don't junk their entire system but upgrade it piecemeal. What does this mean? It means that the two year figure goes out the window.
B. With your virus and corruption numbers, you're basically saying that about 45 percent of Windows users will get a new machine every year? Come on, that's sheer nonsense. I don't know where you get your numbers from but anyone with real difficulty would simply wipe out the HD and start over.
C. If a power supply or fan failed, would someone simply change the whole machine or pay about $50 for a new PS or $10 for a CPU fan? Again, the idea that people will buy a new machine simply because of these items failed is ludicrous. My g/f has an old Pentium (the original) whose fan died, she simply replaced the fan, NOT the whole machine.

Any argument that's built on a foundation of sand like the above...well, you get the picture.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Ahhh...gotta love it when someone brings up the old BMW argument...I think BMW now has about 4 percent of the automobile market in the USA. What makes them different from Apple is that their market share is GROWING.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
gotta love it when someone brings up the old BMW argument

I didn't though. I only used BMW because it was the first brand to spring to mind.

The point was that if someone were to work out how many Macs were sold in a given quarter and compare that to PCs sold to the same markets I'm guessing that Apple would have a much larger piece of the pie.

As it is comparing Mac sales to everything else, including markets where Apple has no desire to compete, is misleading.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
You're right, you didn't bring up an argument about BMW but you did bring up another argument that I've heard mentioned several times. Basically, what you're saying is that you should compare the number of computers sold by how they are being used. Hrmm...I don't know if that is a valid argument or not because if a Mac was being used as a POS does that mean we count PC POS sales along with Mac sales? If I find a Mac being used as a server should I include every PC being used as a server? It's only fair right?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I would like to see a study done on the population of people who've changed systems in the last 5 years. I know literally dozens of people who've switched from PCs to Macs, but none who've switiched the other way.

In contrast...a decade ago I knew many people who got tired of fighting such an uphill battle, and switched from Macs to wintel boxes.

Is this just my subjective impression, or are many more people switching to Macs these days?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I don't know if that is a valid argument or not because if a Mac was being used as a POS does that mean we count PC POS sales along with Mac sales?

That's the point though, when IDG and other companies are saying "Apple has 3% market share" they are counting every computer sold to every market. Apple doesn't sell POS terminals (such as those IBM does) and yet they are being counted into the market share.

It's like comparing a car company's market share to the total market, except instead of the total car market you are comparing them to the total automobile market, which includes bulldozers, 18 Wheel trucks, motorcycles, lawnmowers, tractors, go-karts, etc.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Macs last 5 years? That's an old figure that I think is highly unreliable. If we were to take that seriously then I'd be running an Power Macintosh Blue and White. How many of us have such an old system here? I'm not a power user but since 1996 I have purchased a PowerCenter, a PowerTower Pro and a G4 for an average of about 2.4 years.
You might not have a Power Macintosh B&W, but the person who you sold it to does. Macintosh computers seem to keep on running alot longer than PCs. I just gave away my 7-8 year old PowerWave 604/132 that I was using as a scanning station. The guy I gave it to is going to give it to his son to use.

I, like you, tend to stay with Macs that are less than 3 years old (with the exception of my PowerWave 604/132), but there are alot of people who buy used Macs.

My Pismo is starting it's 5th year... I've been meaning to replace it with a newer G4 laptop of some sort, but it still does what I need it to do.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Ok, guess I will have to take this poster by poster before making dinner...hehee..

PosterBoy, ok, let's clear up something here, IDC counts PC sales as desktop, notebook, ultraportable and server systems. That basically covers most of what Apple ships so we can drop the POS idea. IDC is comparing apples to apples in other words.

Here's the link:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/01/15/idc/index.php?redirect=1076080818000

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Kosh...uhh...I still have my Powercenter and PowerTower right here. They were not sold out of this household. Sorry.

Next!

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
skaimauve,

A. The idea that businesses hold their PCs for three years or less may not hold up over the last couple of years given how poor the American economy has been. This is one reason that 2001-2003 were such bad years for most computer manufacturers. It's only this year that we are seeing an uptick in PC sales. I believe that the predicted growth for this year is about 3-4 percent. Gartner's data, I suspect, is old.
B. MS does not give away the OEM license to manufacturers. That's flat-out wrong. The highest cost of a PC today is that same license!
C. The corruption numbers are believable. What's not believable is that people will switch out a computer simply because of a bad HD or power supply.

I don't discount that businesses have an impact on PC sales but I am positive that the length of the typical PC's life in businesses has gone beyond the three year span.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Posterboy, given that IDC in January of 2004 specifically states what they counted and that Gruber's article is talking about statistics (he even says "as currently conceived") coming from early 2003, I don't think that argument is valid any longer.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
IronMac,

Gruber puts the situation into better perspective than I did.

<blockquote>http://daringfireball.net/2003/07/market_share

Overall PC market share covers large market segments where Apple isn’t competing — including markets where Apple doesn’t want to compete. Fifteen or 20 years ago, personal computers were generally only purchased and used by people who were “into” computers. Today, however, many computers are purchased for use as generic business machines, modern-day typewriters and adding machines.

PCs are used everywhere from telemarketing cubicle farms to supermarket checkout registers. The much ballyhooed “network computer” platform never emerged the way companies like Sun and Oracle had hoped (meaning “no Microsoft”), but very cheap PCs are frequently used as little more than network terminals. And Apple simply doesn’t make machines that would be good choices for extremely low-end tasks.

The analyst Baker is on the right track with his “Acura sports cars vs. Taurus station wagons” analogy, but it isn’t quite right. The idea of overall PC market share, as currently conceived by IDC, is not so much like overall automobile market share as it is like overall motor vehicle market share. It’s like counting everything from golf carts to tractor trailers as a single category, thus making the “overall market share” look worse than it is for a company that only makes actual passenger cars.
</blockquote>

1 - 20 of 178 Posts