1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
15,667 Posts
Very sad and unfortunate and unbelievable.

It sure puts a damper on the celebration they were performing for everyone they could manage to include.

Condolences to the family and the Snowbird team of the member that apparently succumbed.

- Patrick
======

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update from SDA:

The pilot ejected, no word yet on casualties on the ground. More via Twitter

Updates: Unconfirmed report that a female pilot has died.

I’m just going to come out and say it — as much as we love and honour the Snowbirds as a Canadian icon, the tour always seemed to me to be a distraction from the incompetence of this government; a self-serving exercise in feel-good Liberal branding as they spend us into bankrutpcy. Today’s crash stands as a terrible metaphor, a smoldering exclamation point on the **** show that is Justin Trudeau. What a damned waste.
Exactly what I was thinking when I first read this earlier.

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts
Well applying Covid logic the death rate is high enough to relegate the Snowbirds to a shelf in the History section of the library.

Snark aside, my sympathies to Captain Casey's friends and family.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
‘It was like a bomb had hit.’ Public affairs officer dead, pilot hurt after Canadian Forces Snowbird plane crashes in residential area of Kamloops, B.C.

The Snowbirds’ morale-boosting coast-to-coast tour turned tragic on Sunday, when one of their planes slammed into the ground in Kamloops, B.C., killing one crew member and seriously injuring another.

The fatal incident, which occurred in a residential area during a nationwide operation by the famed Canadian Forces flying team to lift the spirits of Canadians suffering through the COVID-19 pandemic, occurred less than three weeks after six Forces members died when their helicopter plunged into the sea off the coast of Greece. It’s also the second time a Snowbird has crashed in less than a year, leading some to call for a review of the program and its safety risks.

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn I hate paywall links! The pilot lived and it was a second officer in the plane who died??
That's bizarre. It wasn't paywalled sitting on my desktop before. Now it is.

Sorry.

Yes. Pilot's injured, second officer in plane didn't make it.

·
Premium Member
42,491 Posts

Sorry.

So the pilot can eject to save himself, but the passenger seat is fixed?

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure. Other reports I've read seemed to imply that both seats can eject but in this case witnesses noted there were only two explosions prior to the crash: first was the canopy & second was pilot's seat. Whether there was a malfunction of the ejection seat for the passenger or if she even had a chance to activate it seems to be a matter of question.

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts

Sorry.

Been there done that. :)

The entire paywall thing makes no sense to me. When checking out a story I try to get as close to the source as possible. So believe me there is no way I am giving a pound of flesh to every rag which happens to be close to a story that interests me. Strangely on the soused side of 49, local TV stations often have better and more open coverage than their 'newspaper' counterparts.

All those paywalls really accomplish is limiting potential viewership to those living in that locale.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All those paywalls really accomplish is limiting potential viewership to those living in that locale.
Yep. Seldom does any website have an exclusive. If I cross a paywall, I'll just search it out elsewhere. I'm sure the non-paywalled websites are happy for the visits.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Snowbird investigation focusing on possible bird strike before fatal crash

Canadian air force crash investigators are looking at a bird strike as the probable cause of the crash of a Snowbird demonstration jet in Kamloops, British Columbia last month.

The accident killed Capt. Jenn Casey, the public affairs officer for the aerobatics team.

In a preliminary report issued Monday, investigators say video footage from the crash showed a bird was in very close proximity to the right engine intake during take-off.

It's possible the bird struck the engine's intake, the report suggested.

Read the news release from RCAF
The jet was climbing at the time, but then turned and went into a steep nose dive before hitting the ground in a residential neighbourhood.

Both Casey and the pilot, Capt. Richard MacDougall, ejected.

The aircraft was destroyed on impact.

"The investigation is focusing on environmental factors (birdstrike) as well as the performance of the escape system," said the report.

MacDougall was injured, but is expected to make a full recovery. The investigation is ongoing and it could be months before a final verdict on the exact cause of the accident is issued.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sn...7Gmf4Rr-Ho7ptu4BmPccCZ706cjvRGD6v0nV9uU8UzLfQ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts