ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruce Power wants to build a nuclear power facility to take over from the coal fired generating system.

I don't get it. What IS this man's problem? He's worried about too much power? Heck, if Ontario has over capacity we can always sell it across the border.

The folks where this is planned don't seem to mind.

"The plan has support from the mayors of Haldimand and Norfolk and both communities' town councils. Local MP Diane Finley, federal minister of human resources and skills development, also backs the new plant along with the Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters and the Canadian Nuclear Workers Council."

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
He is in need of diaper change, but can't afford it, let alone a new nuclear power plant. D E F I C I T

·
Premium Member
30,834 Posts
I suspect there are, are the article states, too many projects in the pipeline.

and Harper wants to sell AECL :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is in need of diaper change, but can't afford it, let alone a new nuclear power plant. D E F I C I T
Bruce Power is private. A new nuclear energy facility would be built by private interests. The fact that Ontario is in doo doo has nothing to do with this project.

I thought the point was to reduce GHG because we're all gonna die soon? Seems to me we're going to need all the electric energy we can get our hands on when everyone is plugging in their electric cars. Heck, I'd love to see so much electric energy available that we'd be able to wean everyone off fossil fuels for heating our homes and buildings.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
You would still need gov't inspectors, and I'm sure they're all currently overworked. :rolleyes:

As for getting rid of the coal plant, that would involve the Fiberals keeping a promise, and they don't like doing that.

·
Premium Member
42,246 Posts
All the government needs to do with a private nuke facility is to purchase the power at an agreed-upon price. Refusing them is criminal at this point.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
LOL Yeah, sure.

"Canada will lose its world-leading position in the manufacturing of radio-isotopes," said the head of one industry supplier, who asked to remain anonymous. "The pharmaceutical industry will have no choice but to move production to other countries."
Maple reactor.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
People could die because of this boondoggle, and others should be hung, forthwith. :clap:

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
That they are finally going to get the MAPLE reactors working?? :rolleyes:
Years ago, AECL attempted to get McMaster into replacing their reactor with a MAPLE. And anyone who is familiar with Mac knows that they are some of the biggest glad handlers around, and will basically take anything that is free. Of course, the existing reactor was put into place when Diefenbaker was PM, so I need not say it is aging. So AECL tried to pawn off a free MAPLE reactor to the Mac glad handlers - and the design was so bad that they refused to take a free reactor.

Of course, AECL continued to try to get a MAPLE to run, despite the fact that the design lent itself to major amounts of downtime and tremendous amounts of instability. But AECL being AECL, continued work on the MAPLE white elephant - long after the greedmeisters at Mac had declared it a lump of garbage that wasn't even worth having for free.

AECL's track record is pretty crummy, and really, their only customers were those nations that had been boycotted by every other nation; places like North Korea and Ceaucescu's Romania. I don't even think the East Germans considered any of the AECL garbage, choosing to go with more modern designs like the Russian reactors at Chernobyl...

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
Smitherman is a fool. If Bruce wants to build a reactor with their own cash, then they should be allowed if they adhere to all regulations. And it would be profitable, as a Nanticoke power station would supply a large swath of Southern Ontario, and excess power can easy be sold to the US, because Buffalo is less than an hour down the road.

Why do they want to put another plant at Darlington? The existing station is a disaster, with massive cost overruns - while Bruce has been profitable and entirely safe while it has been run by private companies.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Because it's not their bat and ball.

Any more questions??

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Plus, as a major afterthought by moi, when the private sector actually does it better than the public one (and it will, all controls remaining the same), it shows them up to be just a bunch of bumbling fools.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
No more questions...

But it is sad, since we are right on the brink of not having enough power, could once again sell our excess to the Americans, and may one day have Electric Cars on the market. Plus, taking away Nanticoke will really strain the system around these parts, as well as afflicting some of the industries that located near Nanticoke just to be near a large power plant.

I say that if a private company wants to build a plant with their own cash, and do it while meeting all regulations - then they should go to town, because there is much money to be had. Of course, the government did mumble about some percentage of power that should come from Nuclear, and that they don't want to exceed that - but without Nuclear, how are they going to replace all of the coal plants they want to tear down?

I have no idea why they want to build another publically funded disaster at Darlington - what, is a Liberal seat there in jeopardy? And who are they going to sell power to - General Motors, who is folding in nearby Oshawa???

It's like the same dumb fixation the government have with plopping an airport into downtown Pickering - a stunt done so they can avoid building a public transit link between Pearson and the rest of the world...

·
Premium Member
17,945 Posts
Yeah, I know this thread is from forever ago, but why waste bit space with new threads when an old one is still perfectly usable? Recycle, I say! :D

Tainted Water From Nuke Plant Now Reaches Major New Jersey Underground Aquifer

Radioactive water that leaked from the nation's oldest nuclear power plant has now reached a major underground aquifer that supplies drinking water to much of southern New Jersey, the state's environmental chief said Friday.

The state Department of Environmental Protection has ordered the Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station to halt the spread of contaminated water underground, even as it said there was no imminent threat to drinking water supplies.

The department launched a new investigation Friday into the April 2009 spill and said the actions of plant owner Exelon Corp. have not been sufficient to contain water contaminated with tritium.

Tritium is found naturally in tiny amounts and is a product of nuclear fission. It has been linked to cancer if ingested, inhaled or absorbed through the skin in large amounts.
(Crooks and Liars)

·
Premium Member
42,246 Posts
"At the current rate (of spread), it would be 14 or 15 years before the tainted water reaches the nearest private or commercial drinking water wells about two miles away."

·
Premium Member
42,246 Posts
MF, I dread the day you achieve a position of any broad political, social or economic power... :eek:
Who knows? Maybe 15 years from now, people will look back on Suzie Madrak's clarion call as prophetic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts