Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty cool...

Automatic

This smart gadget plugs into the same port that mechanics use to service your car, then links with your smartphone over Bluetooth 4.0 to provide data to a dedicated app. With the app running, you'll be able to see an overall score of how you're driving and how you could save more money, details about how much you drive, where, and your actual MPGs, and notifications when your check engine light comes on — along with a description of what's actually causing the problem. It'll even automatically notify 911 with your location in a crash

(Uncrate)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Saw something about automatic earlier in the day. Just watched the video. For $70 I'd get one. Just to be able to see what the crap my check engine light is telling me alone.

Preorder in the US only though.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
For $70 I'd get one. Just to be able to see what the crap my check engine light is telling me alone
Me too.

Pays for itself with one visit to your mechanic, just to find out WTF is up this time.

Wonder what the shyster garage operators will think of this stab directly in their wallets? :ptptptptp

Preorder in the US only though.
Only in America you say? Pity. :D

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back in the day, before I smashed up my Malibu (that would be exactly a month ago), I was thinking of find software and a data cable solution to plug my car into my Mac... but IIRC, the database of codes from the manufacturer can be rather expensive.... (nor did I find a nice OSX-native software solution).

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
I have a reader for my VW Beetle but it won't give real time data (like temp and turbo boost, etc). Hoping this little thingie will do the trick. Would be nice to have in the SUV but I haven't had need of one in that vehicle as of yet.

No offense to the environment but I don't want my phone telling me how to drive more efficiently. I just want the data.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
No offense to the environment but I don't want my phone telling me how to drive more efficiently. I just want the data.
Likewise.

I would like to be able to compare efficiency over time (with hard numbers) in case there's a mechanical issue bogging it down though.

Hoping I can find a way to get this into Canada. May get it shipped to a relative in the States.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Likewise.

I would like to be able to compare efficiency over time (with hard numbers) in case there's a mechanical issue bogging it down though.

Hoping I can find a way to get this into Canada. May get it shipped to a relative in the States.
I'm down here until June. Returning to Canada sometime during the month. Haven't checked the expected delivery dates but if they fit, I can manage one for you.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Me too.

Pays for itself with one visit to your mechanic, just to find out WTF is up this time.

Wonder what the shyster garage operators will think of this stab directly in their wallets? :ptptptptp

Only in America you say? Pity. :D
you can get a code reader at Canadian Tire. Cheapest one is $120 though....

OBD Car Reader | Canadian Tire

pretty sure it goes on sale for under a $100.

But this device looks better.....and offers more than just diagnosing the code. Too bad about the US only thing....

·
Registered
406 Posts
The wireless unit seems clever, but the innova (Canadian Tire) unit seems to come with a massive online resource for diagnostics and other troubleshooting.

Also, I watched the video at automatic.com and it seems like a sappy copy of an apple advertisement :)

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I use a $20 Bluetooth OBDII adapter and the Torque Pro application on Android... same idea and it works well!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts