Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im trying to decide which tv to purchase...

Im very indecisive and feel more stress with so many options...Plasma,LCD, LED??
Since Smart 3D tv's seem to be the newest option, Im thinking Ill go with one of those.But again, is LED better than plasma, etc?! ;-/

I do have Apple TV, which I bought before Xmas and havent used yet.
But would I need a smart tv since i already have Apple TV?

Actually Im not much of a 'tv person' ..I prefer spending time online :)
I just want to the most bang for my buck!

Any suggestions or input like always, is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
Think of the TV like the monitor for your computer. The receiver/amplifier is like the controller/switching mechanism for the various things you wish to watch on your TV. The receiver sends the audio signals to your speakers as well. For me, as long as the TV has a good picture and resolution, then it's doing what it needs to do. The only thing I connect to it is an HDMI cable from the receiver. I don't even turn the TV volume on most of the time. Ask yourself what you're planning to use the TV for, and that may give you a better idea of what you're looking for. I don't smart TV's are all that smart, personally. I'll use an iPhone or iPad if I want to surf the internet while watching TV. Don't really need to view the internet on a big screen from ten feet away. And AppleTV with AirPlay is pretty darn useful too.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Okay so I'm assuming you don't have cable or such if you are not a TV person. With Apple TV you can get Netflix and also rent movies via iTunes. If you have a vpn you can get the U.S. Netlix which has better options and run that through your Apple TV. So, let's talk how you are going to run your Apple TV. If you are using Airplay you will probably want a TV with a high refresh rate....for that matter a high refresh rate is a must. I have an LED and I also have a Plasma. My Apple TV works on both, but looks better on the Plasma ( due to its refresh ). That said, it's also a 60 inch...so screen size also impacts how the programmes look. If you are not using Airplay it doesn't really matter ( plug the thing into the set directly instead of using your computer and stream ).

If you are just the occasional viewer who would rent the odd movie, look at older TV shows you missed the first time around ( the Netflix option ) then I don't think the type really matters as long as it refreshes at a high rate. Really it all comes down to what looks good for you. So check out the various types of TV and choose which looks best. Smart TVs will be a dime a dozen soon ( almost everyone will have one ) so I wouldn't spend extra for one. As for 3D that technology is changing rapidly and you have to ask yourself how many programmes are there out there that are 3D. I would also wait on that one as well. That said, I would look for a set with more than 2 HDMI inputs, fast refresh, and then choose your size.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
A smart TV is only going to overlap on the Non-Apple functionality from Apple TV, like netflix for instance :

AirPlay : won't be on a smart TV typically, but they usually have the equivalent called DLNA.
iTunes Store : most have some sort of equivalent (though typically not as content rich.)

We got an LG 3D LED over the Christmas holidays and I love it. Some of the smart content doesn't get touched. However, Plex is a welcome addition, we pretty much only use NetFlix on the TV itself. Really, the only time the Apple TV gets fired up is to play previous iTunes purchases, movie rentals or to do AirTunes streaming to the living room.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for your input!
Yes, I am only an occasional viewer and dont 'need' to surf the net on the big screen.
However I dont plan on purchasing another tv for a cpl of yrs so I want to get the 'latest' with the most bang for my buck.
I will keep in mind of looking for one with more than 2 HDMI inputs, and fast refresh.

PolyWog- I was looking at a sale Future Shop has this week..
LG 47' Smart 3D Slim LED TV FOR $899.99
Comes with 6 pairs of battery free 3D glasses
seems like a good deal?

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
We just got a Samsung smart T.V. from Best Buy,
It's just an LCD T.V., But it has 1080p and a 46" screen.

Didn't cost much and it has 3 HDMI outlets along with audio in and audio out,
I have a graphic equalizer hooked up to it with some speakers and a sub woofer.
It also has lots of outputs for my analog stuff, VCR and game systems.

I think I annoyed the sales guy a lot when I was more interested in the in/outputs than the screen.

;)

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
My advice (as an avid AV nut and part time installer)...

1. Skip the smart TV...Much of the smarts aren't that great and some isn't available in Canada. Stick with the AppleTV to provide access to features.
2. 3D isn't a big deal...don't let that push you into a TV.
3. There are Plasma TV's and LCD's. LED's are just a fancy LCD. Neither is better/worse then the other though there are benefits to each technology depending on needs. In many ways Plasma's are king with regard to image quality, refresh rates, and cost. The issue with plasma's though is they are heavier to mount (not a big deal really) and they will have a glossy finish. That makes them less ideal if you have big bright windows reflecting on the screen..think a big iMac vs a model with matte screens. LCD or LED will offer a tinner TV, use less power, often have a matte screen and are light weight.
4. Samsung and Panasonic are very safe tier 1 products and you can't go wrong with either. Sony, LG, Toshiba etc do have good models as well but most tend to view them as slightly under Panasonic and Samsung.
5. Make sure the TV is 1080P....you won't notice any difference for TV watching but its very nice when screen sharing etc.
6. Bigger is better. Seriously no matter how big the TV looks when you first bring it home....within weeks you'll wish you had gone bigger.
7. Shop around...lots of competition and many places will deal off sticker price.
8. Extended warranties...personally I say no as they are almost pure profit and many credit cards offer protection.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts

1. Skip the smart TV...Much of the smarts aren't that great and some isn't available in Canada. Stick with the AppleTV to provide access to features.
3. There are Plasma TV's and LCD's. LED's are just a fancy LCD. Neither is better/worse then the other though there are benefits to each technology depending on needs. In many ways Plasma's are king with regard to image quality, refresh rates, and cost. The issue with plasma's though is they are heavier to mount (not a big deal really) and they will have a glossy finish. That makes them less ideal if you have big bright windows reflecting on the screen..think a big iMac vs a model with matte screens. LCD or LED will offer a tinner TV, use less power, often have a matte screen and are light weight.
4. Samsung and Panasonic are very safe tier 1 products and you can't go wrong with either. Sony, LG, Toshiba etc do have good models as well but most tend to view them as slightly under Panasonic and Samsung.
5. Make sure the TV is 1080P....you won't notice any difference for TV watching but its very nice when screen sharing etc.
6. Bigger is better. Seriously no matter how big the TV looks when you first bring it home....within weeks you'll wish you had gone bigger.
7. Shop around...lots of competition and many places will deal off sticker price.
8. Extended warranties...personally I say no as they are almost pure profit and many credit cards offer protection.
Every single point ++1 we think on the same level

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Thanks so much for your input!
Yes, I am only an occasional viewer and dont 'need' to surf the net on the big screen.
However I dont plan on purchasing another tv for a cpl of yrs so I want to get the 'latest' with the most bang for my buck.
I will keep in mind of looking for one with more than 2 HDMI inputs, and fast refresh.

PolyWog- I was looking at a sale Future Shop has this week..
LG 47' Smart 3D Slim LED TV FOR $899.99
Comes with 6 pairs of battery free 3D glasses
seems like a good deal?
Hard to say without a model number, since I'd be making a ton of assumptions. Seems like a good price though.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts

I'll have to play devil's advocate on some of these, also being an AV nut.

1. I'd beg to differ here. Most of the non-apple connectivity, at least on my TV, is there, and a great deal that isn't. I can't speak for every manufacturer's feature set, but I have NetFlix, Plex, Crackle, NFB and Cineplex to name a few, all fully functional.

2. True, but all other things being equal, if there isn't a major price difference it's a fun feature. I was astonished watching Avatar in 3D.

3. I usually recommend Plasma for rooms with controlled lighting and that tend to be dark, because the darks are so much richer. LCD/LED do not perform as well in those conditions because of the backlighting. LCD/LED are great in bright rooms though. This is one reason I jumped ship on Plasma this year - my wife opens the blinds up all the way, so glare was a major problem. It's a toss up as far as gaming - Plasma's refresh is so much better, but burn in during the first while is a concern.

6. Bigger most certainly isn't better, for a huge number of reasons. As big as your viewing area will allow is a better rule of thumb. The pixels get large as screen size increases, and if you aren't sitting far enough away it's distracting. Knowing how far away you'll be from the set is the major factor. (My ex's uncle purchased a 72" rear projector several years ago, which because of the size of his living room, meant the couch was 5 feet away. It looked awful. But hey, it was the biggest he could buy.)

If the OP is set on getting 3D, there is a minimum viewing distance, based on the size of the TV, that is required for the effect to work properly (I believe it's twice the TV size, so at 47", you'd need to be a minimum of around 8 feet. At 60", 10 feet.)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I wanted a large TV screen for the New Year and wound up buying a Samsung 55" LED TV without the smart TV (I have the ATV3) and is not 3D. I have not heard the greatest things on Smart TV and wanted to save money anyway plus I just don't like 3D for many movies except of course Avatar. Also I find it extremely hard to get 3D movies for rent and to buy, $$$$$$. Got the TV online Xmas day for $900 (actually got it for $800 due to screwing up delivery time) which is being discontinued. It also had only two hdmi outlets. I wanted to buy a 4 HDMI switcher so that's only one hdmi cable is needed to go up the side of the solid brick fireplace. No lost in quality and it looks sleek being super thin and is light. The ATV3 shows amazing movie quality plus my photos look so super sharp and bright on the TV.
I think you should pick what type of TV you like and the one option, Smart TV, seems to be standard anyway on TV's now days..

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
Technically you are right in the size comments as yes you can go too big...but that's not the case for most people. THX & SMPTE recommend about a 92"+ screen at 10 feet to meet the optimal viewing angles so with that in mind most TV's fall well under that :) Where image quality comes into play is often an issue with the source material rather then the TV/Screen. With projectors there's also resolution issues as many are fairly low resolution...but feed in a quality source like HDTV and you'll be very happy with the image quality, even up close.

If the OP wants we could also get into how / where to mount the TV as well as that's another common issue. First rule of thumb...don't put it over the fire place!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts