Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I create a document, PDF or image, it's very slow to appear on my Desktop. Restart doesn't help.

It would be time-consuming/a lot of fiddling to 'upgrade' to Mojave from High Sierra, although I could keep my 32-bit third parties that way.

A lot of users have gone to Monterey; gotta say I hate it. It's not very customizable, e.g. Desktop Picture, folder icons aso.

I often have minimal SSD space, currently 127GB of 1TB. Is that not enough free space?

Disk Utility reports disk is fine. However, SSDReporter shows 70% (Wear_Levelling_Count: 170 (threshold: 100)). Does that mean my SSD is ready to fail?

2015 MBP MacOS 10.13.6

·
Premium Member
16,158 Posts
Everytime I create a document, PDF or image, it's very slow to appear on my Desktop. Restart doesn't help.

It would be time-consuming/a lot of fiddling to 'upgrade' to Mojave from High Sierra, although I could keep my 32-bit third parties that way.
If you are having problems with your current Mac, don't expect that upgrading to a recent version will fix the problem.

I would also check out the features of a later Mac OS and question yourself as to whether any of them would be of any use to you, or what would be any advantage if any.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
Stay with Mojave, free space is not critical on SSDs they do not fragment the way rotation drives do.

Download Onyx first and run the complete suite - might clear the problem.

If you are going to go to Mojave then do a full clone backup tho TimeMachine is okay I prefer a CarbonCopyCloner clone and boot off it to make sure it works.
You may have some hoops as Mojave uses APFS which is an entirely different underlying files system tho not particularly noticeable to the user.

But Onyx may well work for you and if it ain't broke ....leave well enough along. Just get the correct version for your OS

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Patrick & MD. I did run OnyX to try to troubleshoot but just once. It's worked in the past. When you say "full suite", MD, you mean the OnyX maintenance panel, right? Nothing from the other panels?

MD, can I run OnyX to better advantage from Safe Boot?

Patrick, I can't think of any problems with my MBP save this slow to appear.

My wife's MBA runs Monterey. I can't see any of its 'features' are useful to me.

High Sierra is also APFS. I'm not sure what advantage I'd get from going to Mojave.

All us old guys here seem to be running old machines with old OSs. Not what Apple wants from us!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Do you have an active desktop or high resolution wallpaper? Try changing to a blank background see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
16,158 Posts
All us old guys here seem to be running old machines with old OSs. Not what Apple wants from us!
Yup, a 2007 24" iMac running El Capitan 10.11/x and a 2011 27" iMac running Mavericks 10.9.5 and a few customized Operating System hacks which the later operating systems prevent one from doing anymore. Apple has made the later MacOS versions much too restrictive and regimented for me.

But we don't seem to have hurt Apple's sales records at all. ;)

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have an active desktop or high resolution wallpaper? Try changing to a blank background see if that helps.
Thanks for this. I've started to notice applications seem slower to open, too.

No active desktop. My Desktop pic is 72 ppi, 3MB. Is that hi-res? I wouldn't really want to lose it! Had it for years...

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,158 Posts
Patrick, I can't think of any problems with my MBP save this slow to appear.
Try cold booting into Safe Boot Mode, login, and run Disk Utility repairs if you want, if it will, then just reboot normally. That can often clear up a lot of crap and surplice junk that might be getting in the way. Also take note of how it runs while you are running in safe boot mode.

No active desktop. My Desktop pic is 72 ppi, 3MB. Is that hi-res? I wouldn't really want to lose it! Had it for years...
I cannot see that being any problem, especially considering since you have been using it for ages.

- Patrick
=======

1 - 10 of 10 Posts