Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone out there using Panther on a slot-loading iMac (e.g. Snow, Ruby, Sage, etc.)?

If yes, did you have to upgrade your Firmware version before installing Panther, as was necessary before installing Jaguar? I'm looking into this for a friend of mine...

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
I will be installing Panther on G3 snow iMac DV 500 on thursday. I will let you know how that goes and if I ran into any problems (hopefully there will not be any).

G

·
I'm running Panther v10.3.1 on an iMac slot-loading G3 @ 400 MHz w/640 MB of RAM and it runs very well. Firmware at 4.1.9 - the latest (which was applied a year ago, if not much longer than that - not just before v10.2 install or v10.3 install). No ill effects to report.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Like Lars2, I'm also running Panther on an iMac G3/400, but mine only has 384 megs of RAM and Panther runs fine on it. It actually runs better on the iMac than Jaguar did.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I upgraded a friend of mine from OS 9 to Panther, upgrading the firmware in the process AND upping the RAM to 512MB. She's quite happy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi,

OK, just installed Panther on an iMac DV G3/600, with 768 Megs RAM. I was running Jaguar before. I will say first off that Jaguar was a MASSIVE difference from 10.1 in terms of stability, speed and user-friendliness on this machine. It really gave new life to a slightly older machine. I was hoping for the same from Panther.

Well, it is very early yet, but I dunno if it is worth the price tag. Here are a few observations:

SPEED: Yes, it does seem the slightest bit zippier, but nothing huge. Do not expect any miracles here, I'd say. But it is a nice thing to have.

FINDER: I think this may be the best part, simply b/c the Jaguar Finder was so hopeless, even compared with Windoze. There seems to be lots more room to personalize it to your working ways, which is damn good.

MAIL: What is the diff here? Other than the threading, which is good I guess. Seems a bit more responsive, but sort of mean to make people buy Panther just to get a normal upgrade, such as with Safari for free.

That is a couple of things. I like it and I'm glad I got it, but straight-up money-wise it is hard to justify. My computer is probably only worth $5-600, so $220 is a lot of dough in comparison. Try and get it cheaper from someone at ehMac (who bought it but doesn't need it) if at all possible- that's what I did.

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts