Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that internet bandwidth speed tests should be taken with a grain of salt - but IMO they can be useful in comparing connection speed from one online session to the next.

Before I upgraded to Panther, the Dewa raw speed test would always always rate my Sympatico HSE between 1.47 to 1.51. Now under Panther, it is consistently 1.45 or 1.46, never higher.

Not that I find my HSE slow by any means, but I find this interesting. Any ideas?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
That is indeed odd. Under Jaguar my ADSL was always in the 1.18 to 1.21 range. Since Panther was installed I now am now getting 1.4 readings every so often, but mostly 1.34 to 1.38 range. Then again, how accurate they are is another question as well.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The problem is likely your MTU setting. The default in Panther might be slightly different. Call your provider and ask for the optimum MTU setting. Then make the change in Panther. I don't have links on how to do that right now (I used Terminal in Jaguar) but perhaps someone else can...

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
You can change the MTU in the Network preference pane now. It's not obvious, but you can. Panther's default is still 1500 as always.

To change, I went to the network tab, chose Built-In Ethernet, and pressed configure, chose the last tab (Can't remember name), then pressed the advanceed button, and the MTU setting was available to be changed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
One question : I ran the test for the first time, and I was wondering to what number you are referring to when you talk about 1.4 rate, for example. All I see it's a number of Kpbs and KB.

Am I dumb or what? :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ran the test for fun at work...

I did get 5370.4 kbps! Wow! I want that connection!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Ingenu - The very top of the page gives you a raw speed.
eg. Your raw speed was 3.01 Mbps

At least thats mine here at work with Shaw, which would is the same type of connection I have at home

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ok, I think 1.41 means 1.41 Mbps, right?

If it's true, then I wonder why my DSL connection at home was approaching 0.4 Mbps... this not really what I pay for... :mad:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Cool, so my raw speed at work is 5.38 Mbps... :D

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When your results are returned, it says "Your raw speed was _____ " right at the top... that's the number I usually look at first.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Panther indeed has a default MTU setting of 1500. As per this website I changed it to 1454 (heck, if it's on the internet, it has to be absolutely true and accurate, right?).

I ran the Dewa speedtest several times with the MTU set at 1454 - and obtained significantly different results using Safari and Mozilla Firebird:

Mozilla Firebird
Delayed Acks On: 1458.4 kbps
Delayed Acks Off: 1578 kbps

Safari
Delayed Acks On: 1485.8 kbps
Delayed Acks Off: 1498 kbps

Why would Mozilla consistently give me a whopping 1578 consistently with Delayed Acks off, while Safari returns 1498? My brain hurts.

Just watch, the difference I noticed since installing Panther will turn out to be @ Sympatico's end, as I understand their servers are still somewhat constipated from the recent virus/worm epidemics :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts