Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to access the OS X desktop across a LAN via windows XP, with a sort of "Apple Remote Desktop for windows" client?

For example, with Linux (or most other Unix) even two or more people can use XWin-32 to connect to one Linux/Unix machine --and get the full GUI desktop, use all resources etc.
This is possible due to the networkable nature of X11 window manager.

Does ths same thing exist with OSX?

p.s. VNC does not appear to support OS X, or so
says http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#mac

[ January 28, 2004, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Script Kiddie ]

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that gg, you always amaze! ;)

You've helped me quickly get to this:

1) OSXvnc is a server only.
2) Chicken of the VNS, Eggplant, and VNCThing are just Mac OS X clients only and not of interest to this discussion.
3) Share my desktop is just a wrapper for OSXvnc.

To get a WIndows client, looks like I need to go to realvnc.com to get the "official" VNC client for Windows.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
From my brief experiment with VNC in the past, if you install OSXvnc on your Mac, you can access it with the "Official" VNC Client from AT&T. Or if you prefer, you can go to Versiontracker (Windows) or Download.com and search up an alternative.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have any of you used VNC server with multiple users?

My goal is to enable 2-3 java developers, 2 people testing code, and 1 sysadmin (me
) to all connect to the same Dual 1.8 G5 with 2MB RAM. This would be over a 100Mbsp LAN.

Would we
1) tank the network
2) tank the machine
3) all of the above
4) none of the above

I know about fast-user switching and logging out is a gotcha.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I think that only one person an access the VNC server at a time, and I don't think that you could have multiple VNC servers open and running in different accounts at the same time and be accessed.

But I am not sure, so try it out and let us know!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PosterBoy is right. I'm bummed out :(
Looks like I can't do what I want to do -- Aqua is not as useful as good old X11.

"Although Panther (Mac OS X 10.3) does offer a new User Switching Feature, ala Windows XP [...] there is still only a SINGLE Window Server. In effect this means that although multiple users can be logged in, only one GUI is available - so an X11 like configuration (where multiple users each have simultaneously running GUI's) is still not possible for OS X."

Quoted from an authoritative source:
Jonathan Gillaspie of Redstone Software, Inc.
the quote found here

--BUT--
That being said, I'm still going to
1) try it

2) explore the possibility of using X11 instead of Aqua (a little far fetched as the developers will likely need to see Aqua-based applications)

Oh well, life goes on.... sniff sniff...

[ January 28, 2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Script Kiddie ]

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks gg,

You're right, it does not "solve" this problem

--but--

it is actually a *very* interesting alternative for a different need of mine: being connected to many Linux/Solaris boxes without cluttering my desktop with Terminals...

cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts