Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new HD to more precise. After calling around, I see that stores do not install the OS with a new HD install. I want to up mine (not iMac and PB). My Q? is this:

Formatting the new HD. A step by step. As in, after the HD is installed, what do I do to get the my Jag disk in so that I will read it to install OS (both Slot iMac and the PB). Someone mentioned clicking and holding the mouse during boot up... have no idea. Infact, is there a site/kbase doc that will list all the 'trix' during boot up? This seems so fundamental, but I've never had to do this myself outside of the current HD that I have. Thanks a million! :D

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Start up from the CD
When you start the installer it should work you through the steps for format and install

·
Registered
237 Posts
How about:

Assuming OS X: Startup from the OS X CD, when the installer splash screen is up, from the file menu select "Open Disk Utility" you'll see a list of devices. Click on the device then select the erase tab and you'll be able to format the drive. (Make sure it's the new drive...)

OS 9 - errr yah! - Startup from CD and Open Disk Utility. From there the steps should be the same as above.

John

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my real Q? is more like - when you have a unit with a new HD. When you boot up, it will not boot from the HD - so if you want it to boot from the disk, how do you halt the booting process so that you can get the disk in the tray/slot??

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
To open the CD tray, hold the mouse button down when starting up, insert the install CD in the CD Tray, push the CD tray back in (lightly so you don't break it), restart the computer and hold 'c' to start up off the CD.

Edit: Oops, fixed what Gordguide pointed out...

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
"... when starting up, push it in, restart the computer ..."

chealion meant to say:
... when starting up, insert you OS install CD onto the disk tray, push it in, restart ,,,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts