Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me Sunday web designer (a little knowledge is definitely debilitating in my case ;) )
Me going nuts using flash text within DW to create text (loads waaayyy too slowly)

I tried a few things, namely Photoshop and Fireworks which are way too complex for me.

Is there an app that will allow me to create simple text in any font I want and then export it in the right size as a Gif which will then load quickly on my site?

Hey, I'm even prepared to use word!

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
If your .swf (Flash Player) files just contain text then they should be smaller than an animated gif.

That delay you refer to could be the flash player being loaded into memory, then initializing the movie clip and then finally playing it. This process would vary in speed from machine to machine, but I've found that it is generally faster on PCs. Using only device fonts in your animation may speed this up, but I'm not a Flash designer (just played around with it). Make sure there aren't any bitmaps in your file.

As for standalone Flash text creation programs, I've found this on google but have never used it: www.mix-fx.com/blowsmoke.htm It apparently has a downloadable demo.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right, it is probably down to the flash player loading. Unfortunately it is on my front page and people sometimes lose patience. The worst is that delays seem to be completely unpredictable: sometimes it loads quickly, sometimes it doesn't. Give it a try here.

This is why I am keen to turn this white text on the front page into Gifs, so that they load faster. As far as creating flash text, I think that the editor within DreamWeaver is fine.

Further thoughts welcome

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I tried it at work (on a PC... ick) and it took about 5-6 seconds to load up.

Not a long period, really. But in this age of "instant gratification" I could see some people getting frustrated.

In truth, the top text loads instantly, which gives people something to read while the rest loads. But the welcome button (the last part to load) does take about 6 seconds on the PC.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
ImageReady will allow you to make animated GIFs, you could also use the GIMP, which I believe does have a Mac version.

I've tested your link and found that there is a 5-6 second delay. The delay disappears after hitting the refresh button, even after the browser cache has been emptied. This leads me to believe that the delay is in fact caused by the movie player plug in loading, and there is nothing wrong with the Flash file (ie., there is no significant initialisation time).

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
GraphicConverter can do it for you.

Easiest way is make a new image (say 300x600 to give you lots of room), then with the Text tool, put in the text, change colors and such.

Once you have your look and colors set, now comes the hardest part. ;) Using the transparency tool (It's to the top right in the toolbar, it looks like the magic wand with a T), select your background color, and now your image will have a transparent background, so the background of your webpage comes through.

Next step is to crop. Using the rectangular marquee tool (Long name for that rectangle selecting thingy ;) ) go around your word(s), and go as close to possible (leave about 5 pixels or so between your selection line and your actual word is a good rule of thumb for what you are doing).

I can't remember where the exact command is (It is called Crop), I'm just too used to pressing Command-Y I don't remember where in the menus it is. So either press Command-Y or spend a few seconds hunting for it.

Then go to the file menu and choose Save As... and save as the gif
You can always go back and change the text, but if the text gets bigger then the image, you'll have to resize the "canvas", or just simply select what you have done, and copy it into a larger "canvas" (like the 300x600 starting size I suggested. Better to be too big and cut down then have to spend extra time resizing.)

By canvas I am meaning more or less the workspace space you have in your image. With Photoshop it's pretty similar to this too. Just making the transparent image comes at the end, and you select the area you want to be transparent.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks C. will report back...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts