Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HIya,

Sim City 4 is coming out (on PC) next week and I am wondering if any of you happen to know whether they are going to port t to the Mac???

Your help is greatly appreciated. :cool:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
VertiGoGo wrote:
Sim City 4 is coming out (on PC) next week and I am wondering if any of you happen to know whether they are going to port t to the Mac???

According to this article, a Mac port hasn't been announced. I've not heard any rumblings of one, either.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
A few months at least. For now, I am content to play original Sim City on my Palm.

Kind of crazy when you think about it, a game that ran on computers that were state of the art back in 1989 now runs jim dandy on a device that fits into the palm of my hand and wasn't designed to run games.

It is amazing how far we have come.

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
VertiGoGo wrote:
Sim City 4 is coming out (on PC) next week....

I picked my copy up today. Eee! Now I get to find out if it was worth the wait!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Be sure to give us a review eh? Sim City 3000 was a big dissappointment, I am still a bigger fan of Sim City 2000, but SC4 looks pretty sweet.

Let us know what it is like.

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
PosterBoy wrote:
Be sure to give us a review eh? Sim City 3000 was a big dissappointment, I am still a bigger fan of Sim City 2000, but SC4 looks pretty sweet.

I've spent a couple of hours with SC4, so I wouldn't count this as a full-blown review, just a few initial impressions. Besides, there are people out there that can actually write and are paid to review video games, so you'd probably be better served by them :D

There's a huge gameplay shift in SC4 -- you now have three modes; God, Mayor, and Sim (although Mayor and Sim kind of blend together). God mode allows you to do large-scale terraforming, Mayor mode allows you to do small-scale terraforming as well as any task relating to building and maintaining your city, and Sim mode allows you to watch a handful of your Sims to see what the "common man" thinks of your reign. Plus, you don't work on just one city, you work on a region filled with cities. I haven't explored this much, but it looks, well, daunting.

Graphically, SC4 is pretty snazzy; the interface has been updated (superficially it looks like The Sims, but it's a lot more responsive and gives you a lot more information) as have the graphics. For example, there's a lot more going on on the streets of your city when you zoom in. You also get to watch buildings built right before your eyes. Neat!

SC4 also gives you a lot of feedback; I've found it's a lot easier to figure out why certain zones are working while others aren't. I've even had health clinic workers walk out of the clinics on strike due to poor wages and working conditions. Apparently I'm a capitalist pig now :D

So far I like SC4, but there is a lot to it and it's kind of intimidating at first.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
jfpoole wrote:
Besides, there are people out there that can actually write and are paid to review video games, so you'd probably be better served by them

Speak of the devil! GameSpot has posted their review of SimCity 4, and it seems to mesh well with my experiences.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts