Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all two computers, macbook and mac pro, specs are below. I am having difficulty accessing browsers as web technology improves.

Most don't work or I am greeted with the dreaded security certificate out of date. Both computers work great.

Can I upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra? I know technically neither of these machines is supported. The short answer and official answer is NO. But what would happen if I tried to install? Would new OS just be rejected? Would it overheat the system? Is it just physically not able to accept it due to my hardware?

Officially it won't work, but maybe un-officially it will?
Both run El Capitan right now

2007 MacBook Pro 2.4, core 2, Duo
4GB Ram
NVIDIA 8600 128 MB

2009 MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
Radeon 5870 1GB
OS SSD (499GB - 122GB Free)

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
Both should be fine with SIerra.
The MacPro can certain handle High SIerra and higher with a better GPU.
Have you tried Chrome?
Don't think Brave will work but it might. It's my go to these days.

Just make sure you make a bootable cloned backup first before you upgrade/

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both should be fine with SIerra.
The MacPro can certain handle High SIerra and higher with a better GPU.
Have you tried Chrome?
Don't think Brave will work but it might. It's my go to these days.

Just make sure you make a bootable cloned backup first before you upgrade/
Correction above, my graphics card is the 5870 1GB not the 5780
I was told by someone my Mac Pro couldn't go past El Capitan.

I've tried Brave and its okay...I still get the not able to proceed due to invalid certificate, but it allows me to proceed

I'm hoping Sierra or High Sierra might alleviate that issue.

Would I lose all my other software by upgrading or will it do the upgrade in the background? For some software I don't even have the install discs

·
Premium Member
16,158 Posts

2007 MacBook Pro 2.4, core 2, Duo
4GB Ram
NVIDIA 8600 128 MB

2009 MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
Radeon 5870 1GB
OS SSD (499GB - 122GB Free)

Your 2007 MBPro is at it's mac OS limit unless you can find any possible hacks (unsupported) using a Google search and your 2009 Mac Pro can use maximum MacOS: X 10.11.6*.
See: MacBook Pro 15-Inch "Core 2 Duo" 2.66 (SD) Specs (Mid-2009 15", MB985LL/A, MacBookPro5,3, A1286, 2325*): EveryMac.com and Mac Specs, Prices, Answers and Comparison: EveryMac.com, Est. 1996 for the specs for other Mac models.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi all two computers, macbook and mac pro, specs are below. I am having difficulty accessing browsers as web technology improves.

Most don't work or I am greeted with the dreaded security certificate out of date. Both computers work great.

Can I upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra? I know technically neither of these machines is supported. The short answer and official answer is NO. But what would happen if I tried to install? Would new OS just be rejected? Would it overheat the system? Is it just physically not able to accept it due to my hardware?

If you don’t want to upgrade from El Capitan you can install certificates that will work and will stop the dreaded security message. It won’t matter what web browser you try because they all use Apple’s WebKit for security. My guess would be in a short amount of time Apple will kill the security certificates in Sierra and High Sierra anyway

On the 30th of September 2021 the certificates that allow you to connect to various websites expired, you can however download new ones.

Click on the link below,

Chain of Trust - Let's Encrypt

You may get the security error so click on Advanced, or Continue, or whatever allows you to go to the website in what browser you are using.

Download these two files;

ISRG Root X1 Self Signed, click on the der to download

ISRG Root X2 Self Signed, click on the der to download.

Unless you changed the location they should go to your Downloads folder. If you run the terminal commands below and it says file not found that’s because your downloads are not going to your Downloads folder, or you did not change home folder to the name of your home folder. Either change the path in the terminal command or move the two files you downloaded to your Downloads folder.

Open Terminal and copy/paste then run these commands. Make sure you change “home folder” to the name of your home folder first.

sudo security import /Users/home folder/Downloads/isrgrootx1.der -k /Library/Keychains/System.keychain

sudo security import /Users/home folder/Downloads/isrg-root-x2.der -k /Library/Keychains/System.keychain

Open Keychain access, click on System in the left column, you should see ISRG Root X1 and ISRG Root X2. Double click each one, expand the Trust arrow, next to “When using this certificate” should be Always Trust, change it to that if it not.

Enjoy what Apple tried to take away from us. You’ll be good until 2035.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you don’t want to upgrade from El Capitan you can install certificates that will work and will stop the dreaded security message. It won’t matter what web browser you try because they all use Apple’s WebKit for security. My guess would be in a short amount of time Apple will kill the security certificates in Sierra and High Sierra anyway

On the 30th of September 2021 the certificates that allow you to connect to various websites expired, you can however download new ones.

Click on the link below,

Chain of Trust - Let's Encrypt

You may get the security error so click on Advanced, or Continue, or whatever allows you to go to the website in what browser you are using.

Download these two files;

ISRG Root X1 Self Signed, click on the der to download

ISRG Root X2 Self Signed, click on the der to download.

Unless you changed the location they should go to your Downloads folder. If you run the terminal commands below and it says file not found that’s because your downloads are not going to your Downloads folder, or you did not change home folder to the name of your home folder. Either change the path in the terminal command or move the two files you downloaded to your Downloads folder.

Open Terminal and copy/paste then run these commands. Make sure you change “home folder” to the name of your home folder first.

sudo security import /Users/home folder/Downloads/isrgrootx1.der -k /Library/Keychains/System.keychain

sudo security import /Users/home folder/Downloads/isrg-root-x2.der -k /Library/Keychains/System.keychain

Open Keychain access, click on System in the left column, you should see ISRG Root X1 and ISRG Root X2. Double click each one, expand the Trust arrow, next to “When using this certificate” should be Always Trust, change it to that if it not.

Enjoy what Apple tried to take away from us. You’ll be good until 2035.
OMG....This WORKED!!!! Can't believe it. Why would apple do things like this....now I can hold off on buying a laptop and my Mac Pro is back in business

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! You are the real apple genius!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
OMG....This WORKED!!!! Can't believe it. Why would apple do things like this....now I can hold off on buying a laptop and my Mac Pro is back in business

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! You are the real apple genius!!!!
Thank you. Glad to help. They do this so they can sell more computers. I’ve saved a few of my customers. Some of them have the old Adobe CS products and they don’t want to get on the Adobe teat. It really sucks.

·
Premium Member
16,158 Posts
OMG....This WORKED!!!! Can't believe it.
I'm glad to hear it work for you, but if you ever come across a site that insists on saying your certificate has expired excetera, you can probably fix it by going to andopen your keychain access, it may have a small red x on the certificate, you can select the certificate and change the Trust that probably says System something, and change it to the optional "Always Trust", ie, you as admin user use your Authority to say you trust the certificate.

I have several such adjusted certificates and it works very well. at least with browsers other than Safari, but my Safari stopped working properly with too many sites years ago so I just quit using it and switched to Chrome and sometimes Firefox. And very few problems.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm glad to hear it work for you, but if you ever come across a site that insists on saying your certificate has expired excetera, you can probably fix it by going to andopen your keychain access, it may have a small red x on the certificate, you can select the certificate and change the Trust that probably says System something, and change it to the optional "Always Trust", ie, you as admin user use your Authority to say you trust the certificate.

I have several such adjusted certificates and it works very well. at least with browsers other than Safari, but my Safari stopped working properly with too many sites years ago so I just quit using it and switched to Chrome and sometimes Firefox. And very few problems.

- Patrick
=======
I don’t believe that will work. Yes you can change it to trust, but the certificate date will still be expired, so any site wanting https will throw up a warning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts