Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
I have also seen this movie, and highly recommend it - it offers a very good comparison and contrast of the Canadian, American, French and British public health services.

I agree with Mark - best Moore film yet.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Aside from the politics, is it a theatre movie or a rental? I used to watch many movies in theatres but have become more choosey.

Since Awful Truth, I have found Moore's work worthwhile entertainment with some useful questions, but am concerned about shrillness. I can, and do, most of my own research so it is not a question of information, but presentation to me.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
I meant in terms of entertainment value for money (and time). Worth seeing in the theatre, or just wait for the rental?
Ah. My opinion in this regard is that it's a rental - the only movies that I would spend money to see in theaters would be action movies, where the big screen and big sound make a big difference... not much use in a documentary.

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
I saw it on Google video last week and I have to agree with SINC - yes, it is biased. I happen to agree with the bias in this film, but it's not supposed to be the evening news, although somehow seems far less biased than something like Fox news for instance. SINC just might agree with the bias too, like the Conservative Party of Canada member Moore interviews in the film, if he were to see it.

Moore simply asks why the richest nation on Earth can't figure out how provide decent health care for its middle class and poor citizens, something that just about every other first world nation, and even some third world nations, seem to have done fairly well.

I also have to agree with CubaMark, Clinton won't like the film, because Moore points out quite well how she fumbled the ball on health insurance in the '90s and now lines her campaign coffers with health industry money.

·
Premium Member
17,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:yawn: Yet another biased piece by the fat guy. :yawn:
OK, so what's the "balance," then, SINC? How do you balance a former Executive admitting to the U.S. Congress that she purposefully denied life-saving treatment due to loopholes? How do you balance the fact that insurance companies employ investigators to dig into clients' pasts to find something - anything - that will let them deny claims? How do you balance the woman whose cancer surgery was denied because she once had a yeast infection?

Moore uses theatrics, like the Cuba trip, to boost awareness of the film - he's a master in that regard. But he does get people talking about how ridiculous it is that the USA won't properly care for its own citizens, while there's oodles of cash available for bullets and bombs.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
OK, so what's the "balance," then, SINC? How do you balance a former Executive admitting to the U.S. Congress that she purposefully denied life-saving treatment due to loopholes? How do you balance the fact that insurance companies employ investigators to dig into clients' pasts to find something - anything - that will let them deny claims? How do you balance the woman whose cancer surgery was denied because she once had a yeast infection?

Moore uses theatrics, like the Cuba trip, to boost awareness of the film - he's a master in that regard. But he does get people talking about how ridiculous it is that the USA won't properly care for its own citizens, while there's oodles of cash available for bullets and bombs.
CubaMark, "theatrics" are only allowed for the "good guys"
see "evil doers", "shock 'n' awe" "Mission Accomplished !" etc.

the health care lobby in the U.S. has done a great job of linking socialized medicine to communism, however Moore does a great job of pointing out that nobody expects to pay-per-use for police or fire dept. services

Caller; Hello? 911, I have a fire in my house.

911: Mr. Smith, we see by your fire insurance carrier that you are a smoker and we'll have to get approval to send out the fire dept. from them as this is considered to be a pre-existing condition.

Call you carrier and have them fax an approval to use and we'd be glad to send over the fire dept.

Caller: But it's 3 am on Saturday.

911: Request denied. [click]

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I saw it on Google video last week and I have to agree with SINC - yes, it is biased. I happen to agree with the bias in this film, but it's not supposed to be the evening news, although somehow seems far less biased than something like Fox news for instance. SINC just might agree with the bias too, like the Conservative Party of Canada member Moore interviews in the film, if he were to see it.

Moore simply asks why the richest nation on Earth can't figure out how provide decent health care for its middle class and poor citizens, something that just about every other first world nation, and even some third world nations, seem to have done fairly well.

I also have to agree with CubaMark, Clinton won't like the film, because Moore points out quite well how she fumbled the ball on health insurance in the '90s and now lines her campaign coffers with health industry money.

Yes, an excellent question with a very scary answer.
Profits before people.

·
Premium Member
42,901 Posts
I don't think anyone is too worried about these Moore films. The people who love them and feel like activisits while watching them will high-five each other on the way out of the theatre. Others will simply ignore the fat man. Remember how Moore "swung" the election for John Kerry with his last doc? That was so sweet.

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
I enjoyed the film and found the "cashier" part in the Bristish hospital very humoring. I don't know if I would call it his best work but I agree that it is one of his better documentaries.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
:yawn: Yet another biased piece by the fat guy. :yawn:

If guns kill people, spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Care to elaborate on that?
Or do you just like name calling?
I get the feeling that the crux of your argument is "MM is fat" - that's very 1st grade of you...

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.