Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Used to be Tilt
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, why do we even need a captcha for this site? OK, I suppose you might need it to prevent spammers, but I am sick and tired of having to do the captcha every couple of days and clicking through two screens of boats and buses and trains and traffic lights etc.

Yes I access this forum from the exact same machine every day and from the exact same browser every day.

I already quit the forum once because of this hassle; and then came back because it looked like the issue had been resolved; but now I am about to quit the forum again.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Hey Tilt. I mainly use Tapatalk to access this forum so I don’t see the captcha you’re taking about. That would be annoying, for sure.

·
Super Moderator
132 Posts
Try clearing your browser cookies for this site. Then the first time you access the site again you may see the captcha, but subsequent times you should not see it. This helped me with a couple of sites that suddenly started displaying captcha.

·
Premium Member
18,008 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a captcha here.

Tilt, are you back in Canada? It may be a geo-detection issue (or if you're using a VPN to connect).
M

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
I haven’t seen a captcha myself on this forum. I will reach out to the forum support to see if they can help here

+1. I must admit that I don't actually remember ever seeing one, but certainly none whenever I used two separate browsers.
I certainly hope I don't regret saying that. 😇

- Patrick
=======

·
Used to be Tilt
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Tilt. I mainly use Tapatalk to access this forum so I don’t see the captcha you’re taking about. That would be annoying, for sure.
Hey Freddie :) I use Firefox and Safari on a Mac desktop and laptop, not on mobile.

Try clearing your browser cookies for this site. Then the first time you access the site again you may see the captcha, but subsequent times you should not see it. This helped me with a couple of sites that suddenly started displaying captcha.
Thank you, I shall try that and keep you folks posted here.

I don't think I've ever seen a captcha here.

Tilt, are you back in Canada? It may be a geo-detection issue (or if you're using a VPN to connect).
M
Hi CM, no I am still in India.

I haven’t seen a captcha myself on this forum. I will reach out to the forum support to see if they can help here
Thank you.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Peterweb is on point. It can be a browser issue and sometimes aggravated by some VPM connections. Clearing cache / cookies, then starting from scratch with Captchas generally scratches the itch for me.

·
Administrator
426 Posts
We are keeping a close eye on the captchas and making frequent adjustments to the detection criteria based on spam and bot trends across all our sites. We have recently seen an increase in reports of more aggressive captcha detection and we are looking into this. Please understand that there will always be some level of captcha or anti-spam measures that we must have in place or the site could easily be overrun.

In the past, I have seen that using high traffic connections (Public VPNs or Office networks) can have a higher chance of detection than a private connection. This is because spammers and bots tend to flag up as high traffic as well. High traffic connections are therefore seen as higher risk to the captcha. Beyond that however, I can not say for sure what triggers the captcha for one user over another.

Daniel

·
Used to be Tilt
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, update time.

I cleared cookies and history pertaining to EhMac. After this when I opened the site, I did not get a captcha; but I noticed that I was still logged in - it had not logged me out when I cleared cookies and history.

This is probably because maybe Firefox does not use cookies to store logins and passwords, but hey, so far I am cautiously happy that I do not see the captcha.

I do understand VSAdmin's statement about the anti-spam measures they need to take; and I am OK with that. My irritation was about seeing this every day; and it looks like at least for now it is resolved.

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
132 Posts
Try logging out of your Account and then log back into see if you see the captcha. If you do log out again and then log in again to see if you still see the captcha.

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
Try logging out of your Account and then log back into see if you see the captcha. If you do log out again and then log in again to see if you still see the captcha.
I wonder if Tilt gets an option to click any "Remember Me" type box in his browser window??? And if so if it was clicked and in use???

And is he running any browser "automatic cleaning" utility that might be removing his preference as it was previously set???
Computers usually only do what they are told to do. The problem is finding where those options are or what they might be!!!

Just doing some thinking out loud... 😇

Also, maybe try using a different browser to see if the problem does not disappear.

- Patrick
=======

·
Used to be Tilt
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did. And I do not see the captcha :)

I wonder if Tilt gets an option to click any "Remember Me" type box in his browser window??? And if so if it was clicked and in use???

And is he running any browser "automatic cleaning" utility that might be removing his preference as it was previously set???
SNIP
In Ehmac itself there is an option in the login screen for "Stay logged in" and I have selected that so that I do not have to login every day.

Plus, I also select "Save" in the Firefox dialogue popup window to save the password.

Therefore, in a way, I do understand how I stay logged in.

My doubt was a little different - if I had deleted history and cookies, how is it that the "Stay logged in" still worked? I was under the impression that this option used cookies; and cookies were removed. So I was wondering if this used a system other than cookies to do this. That is all. Merely an academic doubt, not spefically a problem.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
My doubt was a little different - if I had deleted history and cookies, how is it that the "Stay logged in" still worked? I was under the impression that this option used cookies; and cookies were removed. So I was wondering if this used a system other than cookies to do this. That is all. Merely an academic doubt, not spefically a problem.
From my experience, the results seem to vary depending on how or what was used to do the browser cleaning or purging and how things work afterwards.
I have used one utility that tends to clean out absolutely everything as though I had never ever being at the site before, I think it was ONYX.app so I very seldom use it these days, and I may just use the options supplied with the browser I happen to be using.

But I have also had good success using Clean my Mac.app that some seem to indicate works as same as Mackeeper.app, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. But I would definitely not advise using MacKeeper.app or even having it installed on a computer for that matter!!!

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
From my experience, the results seem to vary depending on how or what was used to do the browser cleaning or purging and how things work afterwards.
I have used one utility that tends to clean out absolutely everything as though I had never ever being at the site before, I think it was ONYX.app so I very seldom use it these days, and I may just use the options supplied with the browser I happen to be using.

But I have also had good success using Clean my Mac.app that some seem to indicate works as same as Mackeeper.app, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. But I would definitely not advise using MacKeeper.app or even having it installed on a computer for that matter!!!

- Patrick
=======
Clean my Mac killed my last MacBook. Slowed it to a crawl and I had to buy a new (and much more expensive) computer. Definitely do not recommend Clean My Mac.

·
Used to be Tilt
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

- Patrick
=======
I just used the built-in history cleaner in Firefox itself.

Onyx I trust. The others (CleanMyMac and MacKeeper), absolutely not.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
Clean my Mac killed my last MacBook. Slowed it to a crawl and I had to buy a new (and much more expensive) computer. Definitely do not recommend Clean My Mac.
I certainly haven't heard of such a drastic thing, but I am also wondering if you didn't have a good bootable clone before you started that you could have used to restore things with. Seldom that any software can actually kill a computer.

Several mac users I know also use the software very successfully and certainly haven't had any problems anywhere near like you experienced. I would suggest that macbook had something flawed with it before you even started using the cleaning software.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
Onyx I trust. The others (CleanMyMac and MacKeeper), absolutely not.
Definitely avoid any use of MacKeeper, and make sure all components of it are removed from your Mac.

If Onyx doesn't fix your problem, try giving EtreCheckPro a try:
Skip and bypass using the Apple Store version!!! Use their site above.

BTW: are you still encountering your captcha pronlem with this ejMac.ca site???

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
I certainly haven't heard of such a drastic thing, but I am also wondering if you didn't have a good bootable clone before you started that you could have used to restore things with. Seldom that any software can actually kill a computer.

Several mac users I know also use the software very successfully and certainly haven't had any problems anywhere near like you experienced. I would suggest that macbook had something flawed with it before you even started using the cleaning software.

- Patrick
=======
Nope, it was CleanMyMac. Stay away from it is my advice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts