Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 389 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I don't know if this lil old thread will last -- and it's probably been done, before, but OS X is the best looking OS on the planet, right? So, why not show it off? Keep this thread alive! Take a snapshot of your desktop all purdied up and post it here for all to see. Bonus points for any info on your tweaked elements.

Here's one I just finished up:

I'm using "Shapeshifter" to load in the appearance theme, which is called "Aqua Pro". I used CandyBar to alter my System and default folders, which are sporting an icon theme called Snow Graphite. Custom app icons are from a set whose name I can't recall (there are TONS of icons at http://www.xicons.com -- including these). I also used the app CanCombineIcons to combine Snow's default folder icon with other icons to make custom folders (on the right of my Dock). And my Desktop pic is intuitively named "ckpbapple1280x1024.jpg". I can't recall where I got it from.

Anybody else got one?

[ April 01, 2004, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Macaholic ]

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
This subject came up about 6 months ago (around the time of the blackout) but I never got around to posting my desktop.

So here it is.

I tried Shapeshifter for a little bit... as nice as it is to change the theme, but I much prefer keeping my system as clean as possible for work. FruitMenu had crashed on me a couple of times so I didn't give it much of a chance to do it's thing. You could say I'm somewhat of a software hypochondriac.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Macaholic we don't all have widescreen monitors
Er, sorry gang :(

But... pretty smooth look, eh? :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Jonm0n:

The desktop and HD icons are done by a fella named David Lanham whom I find has a unique illustrative talent. He has a set of icons called Invading Your Space which won 1st prize in the Iconfactory Pixelpalooza contest in 2003—which is how I came across his desktop wallpaper.

He has other icons and paper as well. Check it out.

Eventually, I plan on making a collection of Pixar icons to go with my HD naming convention (Luxo, Luxo Jr.). The only set I've found is on http://www.xicons.com and isn't that great. :(

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Jonmon - that screenshot is from OS X running on an unsupported Mac, correct? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What? Panther runs on any iBook, Lars ;)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
What? Panther runs on any iBook, Lars
Oh, I know, but I wasn't sure if that was his iBook or not. I didn't know iBooks running OS X couldn't display what type of RAM it was. I would of expected "640 MB SDRAM" - not just "640 MB."

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't know iBooks running OS X couldn't display what type of RAM it was. I would of expected "640 MB SDRAM" - not just "640 MB."
Riiiight! That is an interesting distinction! My Sawtooth under Panther mentions RAM type -- before AND after my dual 1.3GHz upgrade :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Yup, it's my iBook. Dual USB, so it is supported. I never realized it didn't show RAM type. I wonder if the G4 iBooks show DDR RAM.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I didn't know iBooks running OS X couldn't display what type of RAM it was. I would of expected "640 MB SDRAM" - not just "640 MB."

Actually, it only displays the RAM type if it is anything other than SDR SDRAM.

An eMac shows the amount with no type, as does the iBook or an older iMac.

A newer iMac or PowerMac will say that the RAM is DDR.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
When I go into system profiler I get:

DIMM0/BUILT-IN - 128 - Unknown - unknown
DIMM1/J12 - 512 -SDRAM - pc133u-333

Could it be the built-in "unknown" that prevents the system from reporting full SDRAM?

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's a good possibility, jonm0n. Do you have any exotic PeeCee RAM in there??

·
Registered
438 Posts
jonm0n - my iBook does the same. The onboard 128mb is shown as unknown.

oh well!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Because on-board RAM is soldered to the logic board, it won't say its speed or what type it is. Strange that these newer Macs don't show the type though, like that eMac.

Likewise, this screenshot is taken from my 400 MHz DV iMac, and shows it properly:

1 - 20 of 389 Posts