Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Should the media be allowed to report the names of young offenders?

• Yes

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Only if it a serious offence (ie: murder)

Votes: 12 30.8%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A poll on a local news site sparked this poll. So whadaya think?

I am personally & overwhelmingly in the 'YES' category. :(

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your poll doesn't indicate whether the media can report alleged or just convicted offenders
I was copying another web poll title, but the word "offenders", in this poll, indicates youth that are/were convicted.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
your poll doesn't indicate whether the media can report alleged or just convicted offenders
Agreed. I voted yes if they are convicted offenders.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Yes, absolutely with pictures. As Dr. Phil likes to say, the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. The public deserves to be warned.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I chose option # 3, then immediately regretted my decision. Although I voted for the last choice I really should have chose the YES option. I don't think there is any way to change my vote.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
forget protecting the offenders, protect the potential victims.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Indeed, but we should also stop valuing vermin over ordinary law abiding citizens.
We need to respect the rights of all citizens. When it comes to young offenders, when investigating a crime, police should not be 'handcuffed' when looking for witnesses, suspects, and perpetrators. The media should be allowed to publish names and pictures that will help police solve any crime.

Once a young offender has been tried and convicted, again, that information should be readily available to the general public. It's a safety issue. Yes, some places won't give you a job because of your criminal record, but guess what - that's a major consequence of committing a crime. Businesses should have the right to know they are hiring a young felon.

As for addresses and phone numbers? Never, ever should these be published. Not even for the most vial ex-cons.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts