Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be redundant, but for piece of mind:

Should X run on G3s? Any success stories? I have the Ram, but are reluctant to install it on my iMac DV 400MHZ G3. My TiBook runs it well. What about an iBook 500MHZ G3?

Thoughts?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I have OS X 10.2.6 running on my Beige G3 366 MHz with 544 MB of RAM and it runs fine without problem. And your iMac 400 is faster than my G3 in every single way. Install OS X - you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
X runs fine on G3s. Some things run better on the same speed G4. X runs fine on my 450Mhz. B&W G3.

I did have problems trying to install it on a friends 333Mhz. iMac. He had upgraded his HD to a 40GB. That was the only non-stock thing about his iMac.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
i've installed jaguar on a wallstreet 233mhz powerbook.

installation was a little hairy ie. it took about seven restarts to get the installation to start -- but after that there were no problems save one: the LCD screen stays black when the computer wakes from sleep. this doesn't happen when an external monitor is hooked up. weird.

anyway, everything else is fine now, and if X runs on the piece of junk that is the wallstreet 233, it should run on anything.

cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I have a 400mhz G3 iMac DV and have been using Jaguar for months.

It is excellent, definitely the best Mac OS I've ever used and my experiences goes back to System 6.

It should run fine on your iMac.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
My main OS on both G3 400Mhz and G3 500Mhz Pismo's.

Ram is a key, as much as you can afford, 512MB and 1GB respectively on the mentioned units.

·
Registered
125 Posts
After similar hesitation, I took the plunge about 6 months ago. I also work on an iMac DV 400 and have never regretted and never looked back.

OS X on your machine will run just fine.

You know what I miss about 9 though?

NOTHING!

·
Registered
993 Posts
iLabmAn:

I am running Jaguar on an iMac DV 400 with 256 megs of RAM. I runs fine, although it's slow at startup. (I assume this is because of the processor, not the amount of RAM that's in it.) Jaguar is nice on any machine, but you will notice a big difference in performance between it and OS 9 on your iMac. (Mostly in startup times for programs, not anything else in routine programs like wp, spreadsheets, browsers, email.) If you frequently run more than 2 or 3 applications at the same time, I think you would benefit from more than 256 megs of RAM.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
RAM is the key. The more RAM you have the happier OS X will be on your older iMac.

The question should be, if Cheetah (OS 10.0), which was a fat pig, and Puma (10.1), which was an average pig, and Jaguar (10.2) which is a svelte pig[1] all run on a G3, why shouldn't Panther, which is a greased pig, run on an G3?

[1] In comparison to Panther.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alrighty.

I am sold. Mac OS X it is. After all, I run it on my iBook so why not on my iMac?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Heart said:
I thought they were all in the cat family.... not pig !?!

Yeah, but the pig analogy works so much better!

--PB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Like Heart, running a Pismo G3 400 here with Jag.4 + 576 Megs of RAM. About to jump to a 1G soon as I might start to run some gluttonous apps and want smoothest operation possible. ;) Make the move on the DV. I will be too after a new HD.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Re: the earlier question of RAM in this post. This iMacDV brother has 384 MB installed.

The only purchase I made prior to installing X was an external FireWire HD so I could clear off my internal for a clean install of both X and 9.2.2

Cheers

Alex

:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts