Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made the jump from Mojave to Catalina yesterday. Had to go through and update some apps, find a new solution for my scanning software. All said and done everything is working fine now. I did have to upgrade my font management software, it was 64 bit but it would not run in Catalina. Adobe is all working fine and in general the OS feels very snappy. My biggest concern and reason for not moving ahead before was the 64 bit only OS. Now that I am here, is there anything I should worry about with apps not working if I just went to Big Sur? Differences I saw seem to be mainly cosmetic. Just wondering if there was known issues with Big Sur breaking apps or apps not working under this and if it is a stable OS?

·
Premium Member
42,901 Posts
I look at it from the opposite direction. If you're happy with Catalina after using it for a few weeks, decide if Big Sur offers you anything that will improve your productivity. I could push one of my machines there, but I saw nothing that would convince me to make the jump.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I look at it from the opposite direction. If you're happy with Catalina after using it for a few weeks, decide if Big Sur offers you anything that will improve your productivity. I could push one of my machines there, but I saw nothing that would convince me to make the jump.
Was just thinking if I am figuring out the new things in Catalina why not just skip it and go with Big Sur and figure out the new new things that I will eventually go to. Only a day in, and everything seems to be working so I will probably not push my luck and just stay with Catalina for a while.

·
Premium Member
16,084 Posts
Was just thinking if I am figuring out the new things in Catalina why not just skip it and go with Big Sur and figure out the new new things that I will eventually go to.
You might be interested in the comment from Mac dock in another thread:

Bit surprised Catalina is working on your machine....Catalina really never got stable.

Maybe he has some other comments for your situation if he replies here...

- Patrick
=======

·
peek-a-boo
17,352 Posts
I think the key is what do you really have to gain by updating the OS. Apple comes out with new OSS pretty much every year and I refuse to go through all that with a pro machine. I find a couple OSs back is more mature and has a good track record. I have no reason to go past Mojave for now, it’s solid as a rock, there’s nothing in catelina or Big Sur that I need, and now there’s the new one.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the key is what do you really have to gain by updating the OS. Apple comes out with new OSS pretty much every year and I refuse to go through all that with a pro machine. I find a couple OSs back is more mature and has a good track record. I have no reason to go past Mojave for now, it’s solid as a rock, there’s nothing in catelina or Big Sur that I need, and now there’s the new one.
I did do the update yesterday. I had a time machine backup before hand for safety and knew I was coming into work on Saturday so if I had to I could restore and be back in working order for Monday. Everything is working alright. Some graphical changes to the UI that take a little getting used to but am enjoying it. OS feels snappy. Not a fan of the new folder icons and external hard drive icons, reminds me of the custom ones I used to play around with when I was trying to make my OS more "unique". This is my last OS update on this machine, my late 2014 5K iMac is no longer supported for Monterey. Seems strange that a late 2014 Mac Mini is supported but not my maxed out iMac. Oh well, this should keep me plugging along for a while still before I look at upgrading.

·
Premium Member
42,901 Posts
Looks like you gave up bootable backup capability with the move from Catalina to Big Sur.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like you gave up bootable backup capability with the move from Catalina to Big Sur.
Over the years that has become less and less important to me. Adobe is all activated and installed by simply adding my email and password and preferences are in the cloud as well. Same goes for email with all the attachments and content stored in the cloud. I am content with time machine and my cloud backup for whenever I should need it. What I do miss in Big Sur is no calculator in the dashboard. I have a hot corner and would bring that up daily, something so simple and function. I should have known Apple would remove that to really push me to think different by taking longer to do something!

·
Premium Member
42,901 Posts
That's an hour or so I would want back following a crash, but if you don't mind reinstalling the OS from scratch...

I have a cloud-based sub to InDesign, but the app is not in the cloud, only the permission to use it. I onced had to replace the software package and it involved several hours of hassles and calls to Adobe.

·
Premium Member
16,084 Posts
What I do miss in Big Sur is no calculator in the dashboard. I have a hot corner and would bring that up daily, something so simple and function. I should have known Apple would remove that to really push me to think different by taking longer to do something!
And that is one reason why I stopped upgrading, they seem to have started this create a workflow using more steps than necessary or removing the feature completely several years ago, but there may be a solution for you and your calculator:

HOW TO GET CALCULATOR WIDGET IN MACOS BIG SUR?!
See here:
However, there is a good workaround for quickly accessing the Calculator app on a Mac.

Maybe that might be a workable workaround for you???

If not, lots more suggestions here:

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's an hour or so I would want back following a crash, but if you don't mind reinstalling the OS from scratch...

I have a cloud-based sub to InDesign, but the app is not in the cloud, only the permission to use it. I onced had to replace the software package and it involved several hours of hassles and calls to Adobe.
Yes, but all my preferences and tool bars are all stored so reinstalling is pretty quick with a fast connection. Never had an issue with re-installing Adobe, be it in the old days when it all came on CD or now when I simply click the apps I want to install from the CC app. I can't remember the last time I needed to re-install the OS from scratch, of course now that I say that something will happen where I will need to! Does the time machine restore not work anymore?

·
Premium Member
42,901 Posts
Does the time machine restore not work anymore?
As I understand it, as of now, Big Sur will not currently create an accurate bootable backup disk due to a problem with the release. You can back up the files and apps, but will have to migrate them to a fresh install.

·
Premium Member
16,084 Posts
I can't remember the last time I needed to re-install the OS from scratch, of course now that I say that something will happen where I will need to! Does the time machine restore not work anymore?
I do not use Time Machine, nor any of the more recent Mac OS versions, but as I understand TM and how its backup works is it essentially backs up all user data but not the Mac OS.

They hassle with restoring the Mac OS is that Apple makes it very hard to find a particular version after they have released their latest, and then some can get into the lack of Apple signing problem.

- Patrick
=======

1 - 13 of 13 Posts