Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I found out that I'm a bit short on cash to buy a 512 Mb RAM stick AND Panther. Considering these two items are nearly at the same price (there's a 20 $ difference), what would you recommend as the best short term upgrade?

Regards

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Oooh, that's a close one. I think I'd say spend it on the RAM, since you at least have Jaguar as your current OS.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I would get Panther instead, since your current 384 MB isn't that bad. If you had anything under 384 MB, then I'd say get the RAM instead. Panther will (should) also improve your system performance.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I wouldn't consider 384MB to be a huge amount of RAM; were it me I would buy the extra 512MB stick, and stick with Jaguar, which is working just fine right now as I type.

Having said that, it does depend a bit on what, exactly, you do with your Mac. If you're not using demanding applications (video, audio and graphics) you may well be fine with Panther and 384MB.

Although I do expect Panther to improve the OS and the System in general, I would expect better overall performance improvement with memory.

Since you do have a decent amount of memory now, perhaps an alternative would be to upgrade with a 256 or even another 128 stick now and still get Panther. That would get you either 512 or 640MB altogether, and may well fit your budget.

Both of those configurations provide very good performance; if you're not really pushing it then this range of memory is a real sweet spot; you won't need more unless you get into the very high-demand applications.

Added: I just noticed you have an iBook (2 memory slots, 1 fixed/1 removeable, right?); which probably means pulling 256MB to add more.

In that case, I would probably go with the 512 and wait a while for the budget to meet your wants and needs. You can start the Panther fund by selling your 256 stick on the Trading Post.

[ October 22, 2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
taking that a bit further... buy the 512MB RAM stick. pull the 256 and sell it. with the money you make on the sale, buy a new Jaguar package. Use the Up-To-Date program to upgrade from Jag to Panther when you have the cash.

·
Registered
719 Posts
RAM

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
keep what you have for now. start saving, then after you have 4 or 5 hundred dollars, sell your iBook and get the new G4 iBook, which will already have Panther installed on it.

or

get the RAM.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bloodyface, I like your idea.

Problem is that I'll probably have to sell it in Québec, unless anyone here wants a french keyboard... :D

I think I'll go for the RAM, save a thousand bucks and buy an eMac. How about that? :D

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Well, I found out that I'm a bit short on cash to buy a 512 Mb RAM stick AND Panther. Considering these two items are nearly at the same price (there's a 20 $ difference), what would you recommend as the best short term upgrade?
Same situation here - my short-term solution will be to buy Panther on Friday and temporarily rob the RAM out of my PC.

Cheers :-> Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts