Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey - I wrote that Canada411 tool. What's with all the whining about Apple should have built it 'in the first place'?

I keep getting emails like that and it just smells like Mac users like to complain - but don't like to do much to fix the problem.

If there's a tool you need - then write it! if you don't know how to - then send in a suggestion to your friendly neighborhood Mac programmer or Apple.

vic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Which version of netscape did you try?

What URL did you use?

I posted an invalid URL the first time. The end of the URL should read "action=add", not "command=add".

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by james_squared:
Hello,

Very cool, indeed.

The Sherlock link didn't work for me using Nutscrape, but it worked fine with Exploiter.

James
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Victor Ng:
Which version of netscape did you try?

What URL did you use?

I posted an invalid URL the first time. The end of the URL should read "action=add", not "command=add".

[qb]Hello,

Very cool, indeed.

The Sherlock link didn't work for me using Nutscrape, but it worked fine with Exploiter.

James
<HR></blockquote>[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

I have Nutscrape 7.0 under OSX and I used the link with the "action=add" part. There may be a plugin or something that I need that I don't have. It's no big deal for me, though.

Nice piece of software, Victor. I'm not too sure if Apple should have built it in the first place, as I think it is impossible for Apple to think of everything themselves. That's why it's a good thinkg that there are dedicated Mac users/programmers who like to make useful suggestions and/or cool software, like yourself.

Thanks again for the nifty Sherlock Channel.

James

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps I've misread your post, but I don't quite know why you're being cranky about the feedback. People are quite pleased with your work. I can't speak for others, but my view is that Canadian users have every right to be annoyed when the applications they pay for are stripped of features because we don't live State-side (Sherlock is an excellent case in point). It's not a matter of whining, it's an expectation of thoroughness.

I'm always pleased to support the hard work of developers like yourself who take the time to fill these gaps. That's why I posted the recommendation. Having said that--and I say this with all due respect--telling people to write their own code isn't a very nice thing to say. Not everyone has the time or your commensurate talent for such things. I, for one, am too busy earning a living...I just want a computer that works without me having to muck with it. I had enough of that after having worked on Win platforms for over 10 years. Hence the Mac purchase.

Anyhow, thanks again for fixing what needed to be fixed. I sure appreciated it.

PG

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Victor Ng:
Hey - I wrote that Canada411 tool. What's with all the whining about Apple should have built it 'in the first place'?

I keep getting emails like that and it just smells like Mac users like to complain - but don't like to do much to fix the problem.

If there's a tool you need - then write it! if you don't know how to - then send in a suggestion to your friendly neighborhood Mac programmer or Apple.

vic
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Thanks for the link Patrick... Re: Sherlock.. a good friend of mine is learning programming and he is creating a Sherlock Pluggin for ehMac! He's not going to really get into it, until I do the upgrade to ehMac sometime soon. (As soon as UBB 6.4 is released). The new board will have new search features, so should tie into the Sherlock plugin great!

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's great news...Gee this board just gets better all the time!

PG

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ehMax:
Thanks for the link Patrick... Re: Sherlock.. a good friend of mine is learning programming and he is creating a Sherlock Pluggin for ehMac! He's not going to really get into it, until I do the upgrade to ehMac sometime soon. (As soon as UBB 6.4 is released). The new board will have new search features, so should tie into the Sherlock plugin great!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry Patrick - I'm just normally pretty cantankerous. No offense intended. I think I'm still adjusting to 'normal' people interactions - the last place I worked was a pretty intense software shop where everyone routinely yelled/screamed/swore at each other.

Perhaps if the plugin was a replacement for the movie channel - I could understand the "Apple should have shipped it" mentality (and I think they should have shipped one for Canada) - but it's not. There's an american yellow pages tool

People should not want Apple to write all the applications and ship them "in the box" as nice as that would seem. Apple needs to entice programmers to come to the Macintosh platform and write applications on top of it so that more (and hopefully better) software is available on Mac than on Windows.

The whole Watson/Sherlock3 rip-off from Apple leaves a bad taste in the mouth of programmers. Having regular people say 'Apple should've included it!' feels like a jab that says it's OK for Apple to clone independant work and claim it as their own- when it's not.

Anyway - thanks for the feedback- I'm really not this bitchy in real life. :)

well - i have bugs to crush...

Originally posted by Patrick Gant:
[QB]Perhaps I've misread your post, but I don't quite know why you're being cranky about the feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awww... crap.

I tested the URL with IE (whatever version is latest on OSX), Mozilla 1.1, 1.2b, and Chimera. No problems.

I just tried it with Netscape 7.0 and reproduced your problem. This appears to be a bug in Netscape where it doesn't hand off to OSX when it doesn't know how to handle a non-standard URL like "sherlock://".

arghh... too many browsers.

On a side note: have you tried using Chimera yet? It's the same rendering engine as Netscape, but it's got the Aqua look and feel and the drawing speed is a lot faster than Netscape.

Hello,

I have Nutscrape 7.0 under OSX [...]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>On a side note: have you tried using Chimera yet? It's the same rendering engine as Netscape, but it's got the Aqua look and feel and the drawing speed is a lot faster than Netscape.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

I don't really like Chimera and it also isn't compatible with one of my banking institutions, which Nutscrape isn't either. I also like tabbed browsing quite a bit and I've gotten very used to Nutscrape so I doubt I'll change anytime soon. I only have Exploiter on my computer for 3 things that Nutscrape doesn't do. Oh, I guess it's 4 now.

James

·
Registered
175 Posts
Chimera also has tabbed windows and like Victor said it has a nice interface. By the way the proper term is "Infernal Exploder"

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alesh:
Chimera also has tabbed windows and like Victor said it has a nice interface. By the way the proper term is "Infernal Exploder"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

Yes, it does. I guess I hadn't noticed that before. Perhaps I'll try and give a more thorough examiniation this time.

Thanks.

James

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I should re-name this thread "Which browser blows and which is king?" ...kidding aside, my vote is for Chimera. I generally find that fringe browsers have too many quirks to them. Chimera is the exception. I only used it twice before it became my browser of choice. The three winningest features:
1.built-in pop-up killer;
2.tab browsing;
3.no useless junk...just a fast browser.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alesh:
[qb]Chimera also has tabbed windows and like Victor said it has a nice interface. By the way the proper term is "Infernal Exploder"
<HR></blockquote>

Hello,

Yes, it does. I guess I hadn't noticed that before. Perhaps I'll try and give a more thorough examiniation this time.

Thanks.

James[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
719 Posts
Great channel for Sherlock.

But...

it needs to be able to find business as well.

Just my 2 cents

1 - 17 of 17 Posts