Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been testing the new streaming feature in iTunes 4. Works like a charm. Many thanks go to the kind soul who posted his share via OSXhints.com (note: successful connections are sporadic).

Perhaps it's not far-off to imagine an "itunes-share.com" where people post sharable links, much like the way internet radio works right now.

But this raises an interesting question...Last year, small-sized internet broadcasters were effectively killed off, no thanks to the CARP ruling in the US. I especially mourned the loss of tinypineapple.com, run by a guy with eclectic tastes and who always encouraged people to buy what they heard. He didn't advertise, nor did he ask for donations. I for one bought half a dozen CDs by artists I had never heard of previously, thanks to his broadcasts. Yet the CARP ruling told guys like him that they were going to have to cough up mega royalties for having broadcasted copyright material. Talk about killing your best PR that money can't buy.

Will itunes sharing be treated any differently? I sure hope so...it's a great way (and legal) to hear interesting music. And it sure beats what's offered on pop radio these days...

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I am impressed at how little bandwidth it actually takes to stream audio (I knew before hand but just wanted to make sure that Apple hadn't messed anything up).

When I was bored and playing with iTunes 4, I started a streaming loop with a few computers. I streamed music from a 17" powerbook to a PowerMac 2x1.25, from the PowerMac to a 15" PowerBook, from thr 15" to the 12" and from the 12" to an 1Book 800, then from there to a 17" imac and from there back to the 17" PowerBook.

None of the streams hicupped one while all the new connections were being made, and while the MenuMeters Graphs were going nuts the number were actually pretty low.

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
iTunes is just streaming the MP3/AAC file from one Mac to another, so the bandwidth requirements are pretty low (~128kbps for the average MP3/AAC file). To put that in perspective, a 10Mbps network could support over 70 simultaneous streams before it became saturated.

Speaking of iTunes streaming, apparently it's trivial to turn an iTunes stream into an MP3 file.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[QUOTES] speaking of iTunes streaming, apparently it's trivial to turn an iTunes stream into an MP3 file.[/QUOTE]

True, but then I suppose it's not much different than the ease with which you could tape music off the radio. You get the song, but then you have to edit out the cross-overs, plus I suspect that there is a slight loss in fidelity given what has been said about the limitations of copied AAC files.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I tried it at work and while the playlist indicator would show, I'd get no playlist. However, at work, it might be some kind of blocked port issue...

Until I get moved and set up in the new place, I won't really have the chance to try it out at home...

Darn.

:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts