Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I share an external hard drive on my network between Macs and PCs?Similarly, will this work for both my OS X and Windows Bootcamp partition on my Mac? Sorry for the newbie questions!

G

·
if you do 32G partitions and use FAT32 to format it is the least painful way to do things ... if it's larger than that i don't have any good advice to give .. I don't think OSX does read/write for NTFS formatted drives yet (I could be wrong).

·
Registered
236 Posts
if you do 32G partitions and use FAT32 to format it is the least painful way to do things ... if it's larger than that i don't have any good advice to give .. I don't think OSX does read/write for NTFS formatted drives yet (I could be wrong).
I can confirm that OS X can read NTFS drives, I can't confirm writing, because there are issues with OS X and Vista.
I have a single 500GB NTFS drive, I share only my music it is not external, but it wouldn't be that hard to set up. It all depends on the set-up thought, in Vista external drives are automatically shared as Network Drives, which could be accessed in the "Network" section of OS X, and it will work with boot camp no problem windows loves windows.

·
Registered
236 Posts
MACSPECTRUM solution would be the best. If you connected it to the needed computer it will be fine in HFS+ format with the software needed.

Networking the drive, I do not know if application like the one mentioned will allow you to see HFS+ formated drives.

NTFS is closed source, and the writing aspects on linux are experimental, there are also solutions for Mac OS X, but I would not suggest it, and I won't include a link for that reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts