Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G’day,

I randomly get the shaky minus sign when handling my iPhone 7 Plus. See picture.

It can happen when I pick the phone up, put it down or just walking along somewhere.

Tried replicating the behaviour on purpose but no-go on that

Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Running iOS 15.1.

Any clues as to why this keep happening?

Cheers.
Photograph Sky White Light Product

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Are you holding your finger on an app for an extended amount of time? This is how you bring up the option to remove apps.

Reactions: PatakAttack

·
Premium Member
16,084 Posts
I randomly get the shaky minus sign when handling my iPhone 7 Plus. See picture.
It can happen when I pick the phone up, put it down or just walking along somewhere.
Tried replicating the behaviour on purpose but no-go on that
Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.
It's just an indicator sign that you, your iPhone and the apps are all getting old and shaky. ;)

Not really... Just joking... :sneaky:

Try holding the iPhone differently and without any fingers anywhere near the screen.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There could also be an Accessibility setting enabled that could activate this. There is a setting for Back Tap. You can setup multiple things to double tap or triple tap the back of your iPhone. Maybe there is a setting enabled to do what your experiencing. This is under the Touch setting under Accessibility setting.
There could also be an Accessibility setting enabled that could activate this. There is a setting for Back Tap. You can setup multiple things to double tap or triple tap the back of your iPhone. Maybe there is a setting enabled to do what your experiencing. This is under the Touch setting under Accessibility setting.
Thanks, will check.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After seeing everybody's comments I picked up the phone and it happened again. Shaky minus signs go-go! It happens when I'm walking and just swinging my arms or when I just pick it up off the table.
Checked the settings following Vader101's suggestion but nothing seems amiss there. Strange.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if there is a setting for pressure on the edges of the iPhone. When I touch certain portion of my edges, while watching bf a video, it fast forwards. So maybe there is another setting that controls this. When I get some time later, I’ll try to do some research on this.
Thanks Vader101. I get shaky minus when I holding the phone by its edges. I've also found that if I press thumb on screen and press with fingers on back the shakies begin.

·
Super Moderator
73 Posts
Try thoroughly cleaning your iPhone. There could be some contamination on the screen that is getting sensed by the phone as some screen contact.

Cleaning instructions from Apple Support.
iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7
Clean your iPhone immediately if it comes in contact with anything that might cause stains or other damage — for example, dirt or sand, ink, makeup, soap, detergent, acids or acidic foods, or lotions. Follow these guidelines:
  • Unplug all cables and turn off your iPhone.
  • Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth — for example, a lens cloth.
  • Avoid getting moisture in openings.
  • Don’t use cleaning products or compressed air.
Your iPhone has a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic—oil repellent—coating. On iPhone 8 and later, the coating is on the front and back. This coating wears over time with normal use. Cleaning products and abrasive materials will further diminish the coating and might scratch your iPhone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try thoroughly cleaning your iPhone. There could be some contamination on the screen that is getting sensed by the phone as some screen contact.

Cleaning instructions from Apple Support.
iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7
Clean your iPhone immediately if it comes in contact with anything that might cause stains or other damage — for example, dirt or sand, ink, makeup, soap, detergent, acids or acidic foods, or lotions. Follow these guidelines:
  • Unplug all cables and turn off your iPhone.
  • Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth — for example, a lens cloth.
  • Avoid getting moisture in openings.
  • Don’t use cleaning products or compressed air.
Your iPhone has a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic—oil repellent—coating. On iPhone 8 and later, the coating is on the front and back. This coating wears over time with normal use. Cleaning products and abrasive materials will further diminish the coating and might scratch your iPhone.
Thanks Vader, will do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts