Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backed up my iPhone in iTunes and then into iCloud. I want to return my iPhone (6) to "as new" and slowly add the apps manually. I'd also like to restore all my SMS text messages, but I don't want to have to do a "full restore" which means all apps and data through my iTunes or iCloud backup. Is this possible, to select individually what to restore?

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I haven't done one in a while so don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure that it's doesn't restore apps at all, just data.

IIRC if you have the apps downloaded in iTunes (Mac) and you sync, those apps will automagically be installed on your phone. Conversely, deleting from iTunes then syncing will remove them from phone (found that out the hard way.) But the restore process isn't the culprit.

Mind you this was in the iTunes 10-11 days, so things may have changed.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought a full restore would return the iPhone to its original state.
What actually got me going on this is strange spikes in data usage with Bell Mobility (yuck, but that's all we've got). I haven't changed the way I use my iPhone but sudden spikes now appear. Bell tells me to now turn Cellular Data off when in the presence of Wifi. Ha!

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
It will if all the apps are available in you local iTunes (on Mac)......

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just reset All Content and Settings. Did not restore but set up as a new device. My phone's name was now seen with my full name (not sure how it picked up on my name). In iTunes on my Mac, I then clicked on the name and changed it to my short name as before reset. All my apps in iTunes now show up with the option to install. I suppose by logging into iCloud, a new device automatically picks up your name. Now to slowly install only those apps that I need, for now. It's nice to start fresh. I'm hoping this clears out any bugs. I've noticed my data usage spiking unlike ever before to where I've needed to turn off cellular while at home. I never had to do that before.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure why iMessages isn't syncing back and forth between my iPhone and Mac right now. They both are set up the same. What i send on the iPhone isn't being seen on the Mac, and what is received on the iPhone is not being seen on the Mac. And, visa versa.

I found that Message forwarding wasn't enabled. I think might have been it.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
When you do a Erase all content and settings, when you launch iTunes it should ask you if you want to restore from back up or set up as a new phone.

EDIT: just noticed that's what you did. yep, that's the way to do it without doing a full restore in iTunes.. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts