Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just bought a 24" Imac and want to set it up properly for my future use.

First I want to set up a hard drive partition for bootcamp so I can put Fusion or Parallels in there and run XP for browser testing and run MetaStock software. How much space should I allow for that beyond what my data requires. Do I need to get bootcamp first before creating the partition?

Next I need to transfer my email files and other data from my MacMini G4. Is there a way to retain all my past emails. I am using the Apple Mail app. With Netscape you could always just grab the inbox file and put it into any new Netscape.

Can I transfer working programs from one machine to another under OSX. In the past you could just move the folder from the Applications folder.

What other considerations are there for setting up the machine the first time?

All suggestions and experiences are appreciated.

·
Mac Guru
14,623 Posts
1) Need a FireWire cable. Start up the new iMac, and it will ask you to transfer information. Connect the iMac to the Mac mini via the FW cable and restart the Mac mini holding down the "T" key until you see the FW symbol appear. Then on the iMac, follow the instructions and all your data will move over.

2) Bootcamp creates a partition for you when you run it (you run Bootcamp to install XP/Vista). Also, Parallels does not run on its own partition like Bootcamp, nor is Bootcamp used to install/run Parallels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lars,

On the Parallels install? I had been reading that VMware's Fusion should be installed on the Bootcamp partition for greater efficiency. Is that only applicable to Fusion and not Parallels?

And I assume you can install Fusion or Parallels after you have already done the XP installation with Bootcamp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.