Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - I'm new to the forum, and new to owning an iMac, which we just got.

My Computers:
a. My wife and I will be the only users on the iMac.
b. We also have each an iPhone5, and have 1 iPad (might get another).
c. We also have 2 AppleTV boxes.
d. I would like to get another iMac later (for downstairs).

My Desires:
A. We wish to both be able to access, add to, and modify our photos.
B. We wish safe backup for the data.
C. I would also like to access our photos and data remotely, but I do not like the idea of storing stuff on the cloud.

My Questions are:
1. How best to set up the iMac? I believe 2 users is best, correct? If so, how best to access the iPhotos? I've read that we have to have a separate HardDrive to allow us both to access, add to, and modify the photos. Is this correct?

2. We wish safe backup for the data. I've been told to get a RAID device. We bought a G-RAID (supposedly has 2 HDs in it). But this RAID only has a USB connection, so it must be connected to the computer directly.

3. I would also like to access our photos and data remotely, but I do not like the idea of storing stuff on the cloud. I've heard that I should get a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device, with cloud access.....so I can connect to my own NAS (which will reside at my home) from anywhere. What is a good NAS to get?

4. How do I combine #2, and #3....now that I have this G-RAID, can I still use it? Or should I only use the NAS?

Many, many thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome.

1. Yes set the Mac up for two users. Personally I would set up one of the users to be the main user and have it log in automatically. Have iTunes run all the time on it to feed the ATV's.

As for photo's. I don't believe iPhoto likes it's library stored on an external HDD but luckily the iMac should have a big enough one for your pictures. If you use a main user for iPhoto then there is less liklihood of the pictures becoming corrupted. So again have the main user only log in to pictures.

Maybe have three logins. "Both" with iTunes running and iPhoto, "him" and "her" with your own personal stuff.

2. Use the GRaid for Time Machine backup or iTunes external library. Personally I keep a Time Machine backup plus a clone of my Startup disk stored at work plus a clone of my media drive. All on RAIDs. Overkill!

3&4. There are many NAS's out there and it's something I've thought about myself. I picked up a Lacie 2Big NAS enclosure. Was only $175 and threw a couple of spare drives into it. Nice thing about it is it's a basic NAS, no overly complicated features and allows Cloud access to my data. I may put larger drives into it and move my media folder over to it for the same reasons you were asking about. However, I wouldn't move my iPhoto library, maybe just RAW pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank so much Gowyn.

Question for you......Apple seems to think I need to put the iphoto on an external drive. see: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

I've got enough space on my iMac, but when I had the iphoto on the iMac every time I switched from one user to another the library had to get associated with that user.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Lacie. Good to hear a suggestion.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thank so much Gowyn.

Question for you......Apple seems to think I need to put the iphoto on an external drive. see: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

I've got enough space on my iMac, but when I had the iphoto on the iMac every time I switched from one user to another the library had to get associated with that user.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Lacie. Good to hear a suggestion.
There you go, learned something about iPhoto on an external drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, should I have a separate external Harddrive for my pictures / iPhoto library, and then a cloud connected NAS? or can one of the drives in the NAS (like if I have 3 drives there, 2 for RAID backup and 1 for Photos) work for the photos?

If I need a separate HD, would it connect directly to the NAS? or would it connect to my network?

Thanks folks!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I haven't personally invested in a NAS (not yet anyway) but with my setup I use a portable hard drive connected to my thunderbolt display which stores both my iTunes and iPhoto libraries. Both Apple TV and Plex (media server software) can access these libraries from this drive.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
So, Knightwrangler, you don't have two computers, do you? If so, can each access this drive?
You can share your drive from your mac so other mac can access the drive. AFP or SMB, your choice.

BUT, if you want to use your shared drive for time machine backup, then you need to get the 20$ server tools from the app store.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, IllusionX, thanks. What Apps should I get? With these apps, I can use a shared drive for my Time Machine from either / both of two computers. - yes?

Now, can I use the NAS 4 bay, with 3 drives in it - 1 drive for the documents / iPhoto, and the other two as a RAID shared between the two computers for back up and Time Machine?

Does that make sense? Sorry folks, I feel like a dummy, but I'm really trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
With a nas you won't need to buy the server.app

Depending on your nas you may be able to tell it make it jbod so each drive would be separate but no redundancy

If you decide against a nas then you will need server.app so you could use a das and share it for time machine

·
Registered
194 Posts
Jbod -just a bunch of drives- multiple drives in an enclosure and will mount independently

Das- direct attached storage

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
there is only one app in the app store.. it's OSX server.

You could install 3 drives in a 4 bay NAS if you like. I would still setup as a raid5. then you create shared folders for what you need.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks folks.

Well, I've got this GRAID which I was sold at the apple store, now I see that it is not what I should've bought.

However could I use it all the same. It has USB connections. Could I use that as my data / iphoto HD, and connect it to a NAS like a QNAP w/ Western Digital RED drives? Would TIME MACHINE work through that NAS then?

If so, then it looks like I'm into spending $800 (QNAP - TS-469L that's what people have recommended) and 4x$80 (for Western Digital drives - any suggestion on exactly which ones?). This looks like over $1000. Am I right that that is what I should be spending?

Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks folks.

Well, I've got this GRAID which I was sold at the apple store, now I see that it is not what I should've bought.

However could I use it all the same. It has USB connections. Could I use that as my data / iphoto HD, and connect it to a NAS like a QNAP w/ Western Digital RED drives? Would TIME MACHINE work through that NAS then?

If so, then it looks like I'm into spending $800 (QNAP - TS-469L that's what people have recommended) and 4x$80 (for Western Digital drives - any suggestion on exactly which ones?). This looks like over $1000. Am I right that that is what I should be spending?

Thanks again folks!
Seems like a lot of money, overkill.

I have several DAS devices with server.app and a NAS, I don't really need the NAS with the server setup

Depending on your NAS you should be able to attached your GRAID to it and use it as a time machine backup. But for $20 you could do the exact same thing with your iMac.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts