Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Antidisestablishmentarian
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've got a number of servers that I'd like to keep an eye on but from a very basic level, i.e. "Can I ping them"

Is there a little app I can use that will ping a server every so often and then give me a green light/red light based on the server status? I've seen big brother before but it's a linux web based app and not so straightforward to set up.

I'm just looking for something plain and simple to make sure these servers are still running. Something I can take a quick glance at and see everything's status. Preferably freeware but as long as it's not too expensive I don't mind paying.

THANKS!
Paul.

G

·
What type of server are they? If they are osx servers then you can run server monitor to do this, if they are other kinds i don't know of anything simple that does this easily ... I have run nagios before, but again it's web based and not simple to setup ...

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I'd recommend Nagios or maybe even Cacti. Neither are particular easy to set up, however they have a good following and you're sure to find a reasonable HOWTO document to walk you through the process. The benefit of each is that they're extensible if you want to add functionality and/or monitor a specific application for which a plugin doesn't already exist.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Are the servers publicly reachable? If so a site like AreMySitesUp might be the ticket. As mentioned before, the best monitoring would be done with a tool like Nagios, Big Brother or similar program.

Are you a [GeekTool](Tynsoe projects) user? If so it's incredibly easy to have your Mac show it on your Desktop; just run ping -c 3 SERVER_ADDRESS_OR_DOMAIN_HERE and be sure to set it to show a Status Feedback image and you'll have your green and red lights. Of course this monitoring only works when your Mac is on and doesn't give you any notifications.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is what I have been using zenoss and have been quite happy with it, as for finding what is going on with the servers, Splunk is another great tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts