Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

watch the video too

Meteor pao pokraj Samobora? - DNEVNIK.hr

At the end of the video you'll see it break up - this was about the size and brightness of the green one I saw go across the sky in the 80s tho it's hard to tell with the video feed. It was earlier in the day when I saw it - this appears to be just at dusk so shows incredibly bright.

It was "dripping green fire" - was a magnesium earth grazer....thousands of others reported it too,
I don't think anyone caught a video like this tho.

Amazing to catch an earth grazer below the clouds..

Of course it could be a fake but that bust up was exactly the kind of "dripping fire" I saw and lends a lot of credence to the video.

Just to give you a reference and scale/power
This was snapped in Norway last year.

The results when it hit.

Record meteorite hit Norway
As Wednesday morning dawned, northern Norway was hit with an impact comparable to the atomic bomb used on Hiroshima.

Peter Bruvold witnessed the meteorite streaking across the night sky.
PHOTO: PETER BRUVOLD

The map shows the meteorite's direction of fall (the arrow) and the possible impact area over Troms and Finnmark counties.

Related stories:
Astronomer apologizes for meteorite fuss - 15.06.2006

At around 2:05 a.m. on Wednesday, residents of the northern part of Troms and the western areas of Finnmark could clearly see a ball of fire taking several seconds to travel across the sky.

A few minutes later an impact could be heard and geophysics and seismology research foundation NORSAR registered a powerful sound and seismic disturbances at 02:13.25 a.m. at their station in Karasjok.

Farmer Peter Bruvold was out on his farm in Lyngseidet with a camera because his mare Virika was about to foal for the first time.

"I saw a brilliant flash of light in the sky, and this became a light with a tail of smoke," Bruvold told Aftenposten.no. He photographed the object and then continued to tend to his animals when he heard an enormous crash.

"I heard the bang seven minutes later. It sounded like when you set off a solid charge of dynamite a kilometer (0.62 miles) away," Bruvold said.

Astronomers were excited by the news.

"There were ground tremors, a house shook and a curtain was blown into the house," Norway's best known astronomer Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard told Aftenposten.no.

Røed Ødegaard said the meteorite was visible to an area of several hundred kilometers despite the brightness of the midnight sunlit summer sky. The meteorite hit a mountainside in Reisadalen in North Troms.

"This is simply exceptional. I cannot imagine that we have had such a powerful meteorite impact in Norway in modern times. If the meteorite was as large as it seems to have been, we can compare it to the Hiroshima bomb. Of course the meteorite is not radioactive, but in explosive force we may be able to compare it to the (atomic) bomb," Røed Ødegaard said.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you are right :eek: - that's incredible to catch an actually look at a meteor in flight.

It must have been slowed enormously by passage through the atmosphere and was literally at the point of falling. Hence the odd curve of the last bit of the flight.

The one I saw stayed in a straight line across the horizon while bits dripped of it - but clearly it carried it's energy still.

Amazing this one caught on film as it was losing energy to the point of falling. :clap:

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Dunno, from about 1:19 onwards in the video (which is right near the end) the footage looks faked to me - perhaps it's merely tarted-up for this article. The trail above the shot of the tourists at the end looks especially wrong - if you watch it carefully you'll see its movement doesn't quite match the jerkiness of the hand-held camerawork. Close but not perfect. Fishy, yup.

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
Hm. The YouTube video claims it was Guadalajara, Mexico, and it happened ten months ago. But the Norway news clip ran that video as though it happened in Norway. Ok - skepticism is now in order.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Norway event was for real but the first video now looks to be a clever fake.

Too bad as I'd like to know the real story behind that below clouds earth grazer - :(

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
But the Norway news clip ran that video as though it happened in Norway.
That's supposed to be Croatia, actually. " 'Bolid' nad Hrvatskom' " roughly translates to "Meteor on Croatia". "Meteor pao pokraj Samobora?" is (I think) "Meteor wakes up Samobor?"

Anyway. A bit of Skeptics' talk here, with links to the same faked video collage.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Very strange.....this one at least appears credible.

YouTube - Spectacular Meteor Caught on Video during Football Game

and landed in this garage

The Car, the Hole, and the Peekskill Meteorite
Credit & Copyright: Pierre Thomas (LST), ENS Lyon

Explanation: The Peekskill meteor of 1992 was captured on 16 independent videos and then struck a car. Documented as brighter than the full Moon, the spectacular fireball crossed parts of several US states during its 40 seconds of glory before landing in Peekskill, New York. The resulting meteorite, pictured here, is composed of dense rock and has the size and mass of an extremely heavy bowling ball. If you are lucky enough to find a meteorite just after impact, do not pick it up -- parts of it are likely to be either very hot or very cold. In this weekend's Leonid meteor shower, few meteors, if any, are expected to hit the ground.
The videos are here

The Peekskill Meteorite October 9

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually kind of fun

good one from Australia

http://aquarid.physics.uwo.ca/~pbrown/Videos/Peekskill/Peekskill_AnnMA.mpg

This looks like the originating event of the fake

A SUPERBOLIDE CROSSING OVER PENINSULAR IBERIA IN BROAD DAYLIGHT, BEING FILMED FROM SEVERAL POINTS IN SPAIN.

AN IMPRESSIVE DAYLIGHT FIREBALL STUNS THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE PRODUCING A METEORITE SHOWER.

An impressive fireball much brighter than the Full Moon was observed around 16h46m45s (+-10s) UTC on Sunday 4 January, 2004. In spite of appearing in broad daylight it was seen by thousands of people, who were attending diverse festivities in the Northern part of the peninsula. Some of them were able to obtain a record of great scientific value, filming the bolide over well known landmarks in Leon, for example. This press release tries to clarify the nature of this phenomenon, which was produced by the entering of a fragment of a comet or asteroid in the terrestrial atmosphere.
RED DE INVESTIGACIÓN SOBRE BÓLIDOS Y METEORITOS

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty impressive bang on the Norwegian meteor.
Makes you wonder what else is lining up out there - sure they may be tracking the monsters but it seems atomic bomb scale beasties are not so rare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts