Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
I've been very pleased with my 800 Cube - certainly the most stable Mac I've owned. :D

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Would anyone dare to speculate on the possibility of a newly designed cube (same external design, but new internal configurations) as a "centerpiece" of a digital hub concept? I might be "talking into my hat", and I don't claim to have any information about the Cube (I have only seen one once for about 5 minutes). However, I can see a reconfigured Cube, along with iLife and the iPod, etc. Just a thought.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Robert, with another blizzard about to hit St.John's tomorrow, I shall not be doing much talking. This storm will make it 5 1/2 meters of snow so far this summer. Thus, no talking in any sort of head gear shall take place tomorrow...........at least none that would be heard above the howling of the wind. I can hear Daisy and Rootie outside with my wife howling at the full moon. She thought that I was crazy when I told her that they have been doing this for the past few months.

Still, back to the Cube. It seems like the ideal design to have as the focal point for a digital hub. I can't see setting up an iMac next to my TV set to show some digital pictures I have taken, or even something on iMovie. Just my thoughts on this unique innovation from Apple, at least in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
The fans are extremely quiet - below threshold ( drives can be noiser ) and as mentioned in the article the Cubes run cooler than with the stock gear.
Cooler = more stable and this is a very stable Mac. It releases from a program crash ( infrequent but I use a number of very old apps that are unstable in later OSes)
easily. But it's the quiet I appreciate.. :D

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
Dr. G to a large degree the 12" Powerbook fills the use spot that a Cube occupies and has some advantages. Still the design is a classic, they are gorgeous and very upgradeable so I suspect will have a long "desirable" factor..and with the cost of the Apple 17" down now that combo in the $2500 range nicely rigged is attractive. Excellent design statement on your desk :eek:

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Macdoc, the design is the element I was thinking might make it a "niche" computer -- a computer for the family room that does not look like a computer. Just a thought. Something needs to be done to increase Apple's market share............since my one iMac, while being a "red letter day" for Apple will not help them with this share. We shall see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.