Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some issues with my MB's bluetooth recently and I ended up with a new bluetooth module, then eventually a new Logic Board as the problem was not repaired.

When I got home I checked under System Profiler and now there isn't an actual serial number anymore all it says now is SystemSerialNumb

What does that mean?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The AASP failed to reset the Serial Number. Serial Numbers are hard-wired into the logic boards when produced. Replacing said logic board eliminates the Serial Number in most cases. Before, there was no solution. Now, Apple has given AASP's the ability to reset the Serial Numbers back to the board and System Profiler - bring it back to have it done if it bothers you (it's not essential that it is there, however, since the unit's SN is still accessible via the battery compartment).

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
So if I change out the motherboard because of a problem I end up without a serial # on my macbook? Or with a systemserialnumb instead?

Also is there a way to tell what the specs are for a macbook by the original serial number?

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
So if I change out the motherboard because of a problem I end up without a serial # on my macbook? Or with a systemserialnumb instead?

Also is there a way to tell what the specs are for a macbook by the original serial number?
The AASP servicing your machine is supposed to apply the serial number to the new logic board with special software.

And there is no way for the end user to get detailed specs based on a machine's serial number. This service, http://gsx.apple.com, is only available to AASPs/Apple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts