Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have someone interested in my 17" Powerbook andthey are asking for my serial number (he says he's buying for his company and they need it in the accounting/IT dept.)

Is this legitimate? Is there anyway I can get screwed by giving him my serial number??

Thanks!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Tell him he can have the number when you have the cash.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ask the person why they want it. I wouldn't normally give the #, but it may contain information that a buyer might like to have. For instance, date of manufacture may be in the first few digits, or the serial # might provide info. for determining what revisions, - since many products have modifications with no model # change.

Another approach would be to give high order digits only, substituting the rest with a "x". Eg. If the serial # were "3685445934", you might send the number like this "3685445xxx".

Johnny

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
it's more than likely that someone is checking the number against a "hot list" of stolen equipment

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure why he wants it...he says it's for "his company" info. I don't really care why he wants it....all I want to make sure is that nothing can happen to me or my computer if I give him this info. I have registered my laptop in my name under the serial number and I have the receipt....but I am not crooked and have no idea how somebody could mess with that info.

this is the email he sent me...

"....could you send me the serial number for the Powerbook - THIS IS NOT PERSONAL - its corporate policy to run a quick check on ownership - the bean counters and IT department have their demands !...."

Where would you check this info anyway? This "hotlist"?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think they just want to check if its really owned by you. I had the buyer of the powerbook 800 I was selling do the same and they did a quick check on some list, and then proceeded to buy it when it came back clean.

I really don't know if they could harm you in anyway knowing your serial number. (especially since its already registered in your name.)

·
Registered
993 Posts
If you have any doubts about this, I would contact Apple Canada and (a) make sure your computer is registered with them, and (b) ask them the serial number question.

·
Registered
993 Posts
If you have any doubts about this, I would contact Apple Canada and (a) make sure your computer is registered with them, and (b) ask them the serial number question.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
a) The IT dept would want it for a purchase
b) checking to see it it's leased, stolen or otherwise not a "free and clear" item.
I would call it due diligence - we often ask to check warranty status but the 17" is too new. Likely just routine.

I find this society is getting too suspicious ( ala Michael Moore's note about America and fear ). I'd prefer to think, and generally this is borne out that people are straight forward and aboveboard.

I prefer an open a trusting society to one where kids are warned off chatting with strangers, 4 locks on the door and suspicion.
Being prudent is difference from being suspicious. It's a fair question in this case but I wouldn't read too much into it. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts