Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there folks,

quick question. i've got a quicksilver 933 and am looking at expanding my storage capabilities. the primary use will be for video and music. i've been looking at adding a pci ata card such as sonnet's 133 card or one from acard. however, i noticed that acard has just released a serial ata adapter as well as firmtek. while it would be nice to have a raid setup, i don't really have the need for one right now. at least i don't think i do. therefore, is anyone really familiar with the advantages of a standard ata drive versus the serial ata. looks like the transfer speed of data is 150mb/s for the serial connection versus 133mb/s for the regular ata card. the cost of serial vs regular ide drives is fairly close too. any help - i'm a little lost in this topic.

thanks folks.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Serial hard drives are significantly faster than ATA hard drives, so if you're deep into video editing/importing than I would recommend a nice and quick Serial hard drive @ 7200-RPM. For everything else, a normal ATA drive @ 7200-RPM (ATA/100 or ATA/133-recommended) is probably good enough.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts