Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to my carrier today but the rep sounded like she didn't really know what she was talking about, so I didn't trust her answer.

When I'm traveling internationally, and I use the Messages app on my MacBook Pro to send a message to an Android device, will I be charged a texting rate?

The rep said that as long as I'm connected to WiFi, I won't be. But that sounded fishy to me, since SMS is independent of WiFi I thought... and if sending to an Android device, iMessage is not even available.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I had that problem with Messages and on the advise of my Android loving sister started using WhatsApp to communicate via text with her. It works.

·
Premium Member
5,412 Posts
Your carrier should have rates for their serves when using it abroad for texting, data and talk use. Rogers has a service $5 a day in the US and $10 internationally and you get all your services that you have at home to use there. If you have something like that you should be ok.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I talked to my carrier today but the rep sounded like she didn't really know what she was talking about, so I didn't trust her answer.

When I'm traveling internationally, and I use the Messages app on my MacBook Pro to send a message to an Android device, will I be charged a texting rate?

The rep said that as long as I'm connected to WiFi, I won't be. But that sounded fishy to me, since SMS is independent of WiFi I thought... and if sending to an Android device, iMessage is not even available.

Any thoughts?
You are spot on.. you will be charged as if it were a text message to an android device.

Using messages app to send an iMessage to another iMessage device will send via WiFi through the Apple Servers. If WiFi is unavailable it will try Cellular network's data (if your settings allow this).

SMS messages are only ever sent via the Celluar Network, and are not encrypted in any way. they rely completely on your phone being on the cellular network.

As was suggested an alternative is to use a platform independent data messaging app like WhatsApp or BBM.

BReligion

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SMS messages are only ever sent via the Cellular Network, and are not encrypted in any way. they rely completely on your phone being on the cellular network.
One thing she said that could be contrary was that there's a service you can turn on in iPhone settings called "WiFi Calling." She said when you have that turned on and are connected to WiFi, phone calls and SMS messages get sent through WiFi.

1. Again, I'm skeptical of this... but maybe she's right?

. Also, if an SMS message is sent using a laptop connected to WiFi, are you sure it's using the cell network? I can't imagine it would be... it's a laptop... on WiFi...

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
If you communicate primarily through messaging, consider this:

Leave your phone at home, plugged in, with the SIM card in.

Take another unlocked phone with you, and buy a pay-as-you go SIM card with a good data plan when you get to your destination (or buy it online ahead of time). Use that phone for local SMS messages and local &/or emergency calls, and as a data hotspot for your MacBook Pro when needed. If that phone is an iPhone, do not activate the local SIM card number for iMessages.

When connected to the Internet, your MacBook Pro, through iMessage, will continue to forward SMS text messages to your phone at home. No SMS charges.

I spent six weeks in Iceland a couple of years ago, and found doing that worked a treat, and cost me no more than $50 to stay connected the whole time.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Canadians are screwed...

... as far as cell charges are concerned, both domestically and internationally. Most expensive developed country in the world, thanks to a toothless regulator.

When you travel you will find lower Wifi availability than at home so you're much better off buying a local SIM card. Here is an example for the UK (don't cry when you see the prices):

Vodaphone unlimited voice & texts + 20Gig data = £20 This ALSO allows you to roam for free in 28 EU countries. I thing there are better deals in France and slightly more expensive ones in Italy.

The only other alternative is to go wifi and Whatsapp/FB messenger/FaceTime. The wifi phone is for convenience only (i.e. phone when you are underground) but it's linked to your calling plan, so avoid.

When I travel to an expensive place I go into airplane mode + wifi until I can see clearly what is going on...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts