Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From iPhoto I made a short film from a collection of images. The film is about 10 MB in size. I have tried to send it by e-mail to a relative who has a low level of computer experience and is using a PC. The e-mail has bounced back because it is too large. Is there an alternative Mac and PC friendly, secure, simple and reliable way of sending the '.mov' file to my relative?

I have heard that there are such systems that upload the file and then send a link to the recipient. Can I trust these? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I believe this will work

From iPhoto I made a short film from a collection of images. The film is about 10 MB in size. I have tried to send it by e-mail to a relative who has a low level of computer experience and is using a PC. The e-mail has bounced back because it is too large. Is there an alternative Mac and PC friendly, secure, simple and reliable way of sending the '.mov' file to my relative?

I have heard that there are such systems that upload the file and then send a link to the recipient. Can I trust these? Any recommendations?
FileChute for Mac OS X - Send Files Too Large to Email (e-mail)

and some other great software at that outfit !

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good but... No Mobile Me account!:( I'll wait for a few more responses.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
Or split the file into more manageable chunks using a RAR archive utility - perhaps 5 chunks of 2MB, which should fit into any e-mail account. Then on the other end, have them download the chunks then do an UnRAR to put it back together...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EvanPitts, I could do that if I was sending the file to someone like you who is competent and confident with computers. Unfortunately the intended recipient is not computer savvy at all: a batch of RAR files would confuse the heck out of him — not only that, my Japanese isn't up to explaining how RAR files and software works!:lmao:

Thanks to the others for advice. I am now going to explore some of the options you have presented.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
These services work

I have used You Send It and Send It for Me. Both work on the same principal - upload the file and the service sends the recipient a link to download.

You Send It is faster and free up to 100 MB. Send it for me has a throttling set for free users. thelarger the file, the more the throttling - trying to get you to pay.

I use these sending programs and data sets back and forth. I have sent up to 500 MB.

the dowload for the recipient is not throttled.

HTH

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
^^^
If RAR is too complicated, then I guess FTP or P2P is even worse! beejacon

Of course, if they know that they just have to leave all of the RAR files in their download folder - then UnRARing the first file will UnRAR the wole series and put it back together. But wedging them into an E-Mail attachment can have some maladies, since e-mail services have a widely variable limit on attachment size, so it would depend on you and the service at the other end.

GMail can handle larger attachments - but they will be thrashed by many of the other E-Mail services that can't handle the heat. But you could set up a simple GooglePage, put the file on it, and then they can just log on and click to download it at the other end.

Thom's suggestion of DropBox is also a good one, as well as Lichen Software's suggestion of You Send It. MobileMe is massive overkill for sending one file...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.