Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help me. I thought this would be an easy thing but it turns out it is more difficult then I had anticipated. I am trying to send a late Christmas gift to someone in the US. I am getting stuck everywhere. I tried first with Home Deport USA and entered everything in but when it came to paying for the gift card I was stuck as it required a US billing address for my payment. I then tried with American Express and had the same issue, I need a US billing address. I looked at another site but as it was not an official visa/amex/mastercard site I was wary of it. Does anyone know a good legit site where I can buy and send a physical gift card to the US in US funds?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,774 Posts
Why not go old school, go to your bank and get a US bank draft or money order? I'm pretty sure both ATB and CIBC, do not charge for this, but that may be unique to seniors. Should be negotiable at the other end without charge, again depending on their bank.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,365 Posts
Why not go old school, go to your bank and get a US bank draft or money order? I'm pretty sure both ATB and CIBC, do not charge for this, but that may be unique to seniors. Should be negotiable at the other end without charge, again depending on their bank.
CIBC also has a feature in their ATMs. You type in the amount of US dollars you want and out comes the funds in US currency. The debit from your account, obviously, is in Can. dollars, but the exchange rate is better than if you get this money at the counter.

·
Premium Member
42,492 Posts
If you go to Amazon.com, you can send a physical gift card -- but it is sent from the US, not Canada.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Don't do this. Even though it's a bank draft it will take forever and ever to clear.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've sent money directly to individuals and companies using PayPal. Would PayPal work for you?

·
Registered
674 Posts
My suggestion, while sounding the craziest...

Get US cash. Put it in an manila envelope with a card and send it Xpresspost USA.

Cash won't be insured but you will be able to track it and make sure it got there.

·
Premium Member
42,492 Posts
My suggestion, while sounding the craziest...

Get US cash. Put it in an manila envelope with a card and send it Xpresspost USA.

Cash won't be insured but you will be able to track it and make sure it got there.
I have done this. Simple and direct for small amounts.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I was hoping for a simple one stop shop kind of thing. As in order the gift card, have it shipped all from the comfort on my browser. I did not realize that Amazon sold other gift cards, looks like that will probably be my best option.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, I was hoping for a simple one stop shop kind of thing. As in order the gift card, have it shipped all from the comfort on my browser. I did not realize that Amazon sold other gift cards, looks like that will probably be my best option.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
plus you have amazon backing the purchase.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I have done this. Simple and direct for small amounts.
dont laugh but i have a feeling the dog sniffers will easily find it..
never in my lifetime did i ever ever have my bags inspected..
the one time i hid about $2k in cash in my luggage as i did not want on my person..
this happened :
i have had food and other items and electronics millions of times i have traveled before, never been inspected the one time i put cash .. boom .lol

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts