Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my Apple Watch 8 and was preparing my series 3 for sale. Erased and removed from my iCloud account but never turned off Activation Lock. Is that done also when removing from one's iCloud account, or, do I need to boot it up, re-pair to my iPhone and turn it off properly?
Apple's help doesn't totally address this: About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch
Thanks.

·
Administrator
407 Posts
From your link about Activation Lock, scrolling down I see "Turn off Activation Lock before you send your Apple Watch in for service, sell it, or give it away" That seems to outline the steps you should follow before selling the watch. The second part of that section deals with turning off Activation Lock.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but what I need to know is if Activation Lock is turned off when I removed it from my iCloud account. Otherwise, I’ll need to set it up again and turn off Activation Lock, I suppose.

·
Administrator
407 Posts
I do not have an Apple Watch. I'm just going from the article you linked.

It looks like you can check to see if the Activation Lock is still active from your Find My app on the phone to see if Activation Lock is still active on the watch.

Check to see if Activation Lock is on
Follow these steps on your paired iPhone to see if Activation Lock is turned on:
  1. Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap the My Watch tab, then tap All Watches at the top of the screen.
  3. Tap the info button
    next to your Apple Watch.
If you see Find My Apple Watch, then Activation Lock is on.

The article is not clear on whether clearing the watch from iCloud affects the Activation Lock. So checking whether Activation Lock is still active is the way to go. If it is not shown in Find My app, you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Found it still listed in "All Watches." It gave me the choice to Unpair, which I did. I was told that it may have not succeeded (strange). It's not showing now but I may pair it up again and do it correctly.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Apple is not very clear on the process before selling. This guy Unpaired before selling on eBay but apparently, he had the beer contact him telling him it was locked. He ended up having to call Apple to have them do it. Not nice.

And, according to this video, simply Unpairing should do it.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I successfully Unpaired my newly Paired watch, but it did not factory reset the watch as in this last video. I will have to do that through the watch. YMMV.

·
Administrator
407 Posts
How does one edit the topic on a thread one has started? The "Seeing" is intended to be "Selling."
Not sure what regular users can see, but look for the three dots to the right just above your first post. Click on those and see if there is an 'Edit' option. If so click that that you should be able to edit the title.

If you cannot see that option, let me know and I can do it for you.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure what regular users can see, but look for the three dots to the right just above your first post. Click on those and see if there is an 'Edit' option. If so click that that you should be able to edit the title.

If you cannot see that option, let me know and I can do it for you.
Done. Thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts